1 Tbsp. vegan margarine (try Earth Balance brand)
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup superfino arborio rice (or other Italian superfino rice)
2 7/8 cups chicken-style vegetarian broth, at room temperature
2 Tbsp. dry sherry (or more broth—use 3 cups liquid in total)
1 lb. fresh asparagus, trimmed and sliced diagonally into 2-inch-long pieces
1/2 cup frozen baby peas, thawed in hot water and drained
2-4 Tbsp. Galaxy Foods vegan soy Parmesan or Parma (optional)
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• Put the margarine in a medium-to-large-sized microwave-safe casserole dish. Microwave for about 45 seconds to melt. Add the green onions and cover. Microwave on full power for 1 1/2 minutes. Add the rice and stir well. Microwave uncovered on full power for 1 1/2 minutes, then add the broth and sherry and stir well.
• Microwave uncovered on full power for 10 minutes.
• While the risotto cooks, roast the asparagus.*
• Add the peas to the risotto and microwave for 4 minutes. Add the roasted asparagus, the Parmesan substitute (if using), and the pepper, stirring well but carefully, so as not to break up the vegetables. The rice should slightly saucy. Taste the rice for doneness—you may need to cook it for another minute or so.
• Serve very hot on heated soup plates.
*Note: To roast the asparagus, toss it with a little olive oil and kosher salt. Roast on a shallow baking pan at 500°F for about 10 to 12 minutes, depending on the thickness of the spears.
Makes 2 to 3 servings