1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 Tbsp. margarine
1 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
1 cup vegetable broth
Florets from 1 broccoli stalk
1/2 tsp. salt, to taste
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup cheddar soy cheese
• Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
• Place the walnuts on a small baking sheet and bake for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until toasted. Set aside.
• Melt the margarine in a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the onion and garlic, stirring frequently for about 3 minutes.
• Stir in the rice, add the broth, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer until the liquid is absorbed, about 7 to 8 minutes.
• Place the broccoli in a microwave-safe dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and microwave until tender, about 2 minutes.
• Spoon the rice onto a serving platter and top with the broccoli. Sprinkle walnuts and “cheese” on top.
Makes 4 servings