1/2 cup soy milk
Egg replacer equivalent to 1 egg
1 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup flour
1/2-1 cup marinara sauce
• Cut the eggplant into 1/2-inch slices, then liberally coat with salt and set in a colander for 1 hour to drain. Rinse the excess salt from the eggplant and pat dry.
• Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
• In a medium bowl, combine the soy milk and egg replacer and mix well.
• In another medium bowl, combine the bread crumbs with the salt and pepper.
• Set up a breading station with one bowl for each: flour, egg replacer mixture, and bread crumb mixture. Dredge the eggplant in flour and shake off the excess. Submerge the eggplant in the egg replacer mixture, shake off the excess, and then coat evenly with bread crumbs.
• Place the eggplant in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the eggplant is crisp on the outside and tender inside.
• Serve topped with marinara and chopped basil, if desired.
Makes 4 servings