‘Beef’ and Orzo-Stuffed PeppersPrint
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 4 peppers (green, orange, red, or yellow)
- 2/3 cup tightly packed fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan “cheese”
- 2 Tbsp. chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 12 oz. vegan ground beef-style crumbles
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 12-oz. jar tomato sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the orzo pasta according to the directions on the package. Drain and set aside.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Cut the tops off the peppers (save them) and scrape out the insides, removing the seeds. Place the peppers into the boiling water, simmer for 3 minutes, remove from the water, and invert them onto a paper towel to drain.
- Place the parsley, soy parmesan, walnuts, basil, 1/2 tsp. of the salt, and the garlic into a food processor and pulse until blended. With the food processor running, slowly add 1/4 cup of the olive oil and continue processing to form a smooth pesto.
- In a large skillet, brown the beef-style crumbles in the remaining oil over medium heat. Stir in the orzo, pesto, the remaining 1/2 tsp. of salt, and the chopped tomato. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the mixture is heated through.
- Pour the tomato sauce into an 8-inch glass baking dish. Fill the peppers with the “beef” mixture and place them into the baking dish. Put the pepper tops back on and bake for 20 minutes.
Makes 4 servings