3 Tbsp. corn flour or plain flour
1/2 tsp. salt
Water sufficient to form a paste for coating
5 oz. bean curd, cut into 1-inch cubes
Vegetable oil for deep-frying
2 tsp. vegetable oil
4-5 green chilies, chopped into long shreds
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. chili sauce
2 Tbsp. tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh coriander
1 spring onion, shredded
• Mix the flour and salt in a bowl with enough water to make a batter of pouring consistency but thick enough to coat the bean curd pieces.
• In a heavy skillet over medium heat, heat the oil for deep-frying.
• Dip each piece of the bean curd into the batter and deep-fry until brown and crispy.
• In a wok, heat the 2 tsp. of oil and stir-fry the green chilies and garlic. Add the soy sauce, chili sauce, and tomato sauce.
• Add the sugar, pepper, and salt and then add the bean curd pieces, stirring well.
• Cook until the sauce coats the bean curd pieces. Stir in the coriander.
• Garnish with the spring onions and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings