1 lb. extra-firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 bottle barbecue sauce
1 small red onion, cut into 1-inch chunks, layers separated
1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into bite-sized chunks
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into bite-sized chunks
1/2 lb. crimini or button mushrooms, stems removed
1 basket cherry tomatoes, stems removed (optional)
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch rounds (optional)
• Place the tofu in a bowl and add enough of the barbeque sauce to cover, then marinate for at least 30 minutes.
• Preheat the oven to 450°F or light the grill.
• Thread the marinated tofu and the vegetables onto skewers.
• To roast: line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with foil, then place the brochettes across the top so that the ends of the skewers rest on the edges. Brush liberally with the barbecue sauce and bake for 20 minutes, brushing with additional sauce both halfway through and at the end of the cooking time.
• To grill: brush the brochettes with the barbecue sauce and place over medium-hot coals for 10 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally and basting with additional barbecue sauce.
Makes approximately 8 brochettes