Barbecue Tempeh Bowl with Sautéed KalePrint
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 4 oz. tempeh
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup Vegenaise or other vegan mayonnaise
- 1 bunch kale, washed, chopped, and steamed
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 1 medium orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 Tbsp. sunflower seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375°
- Wash the sweet potato and prick several times with a fork. Drizzle with the olive oil, wrap in aluminum foil, and bake for about 45 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. Allow to cool, then cut into cubes.
- Cut the tempeh into cubes or triangles and add to a large pan. Slowly add the water, stopping just before the tempeh is covered, and simmer on medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes. Drain any excess water, then add the barbecue sauce and cook on medium heat until the sauce is reduced to the desired consistency.
- Blend the roasted red peppers and the Vegenaise in a blender or food processor until smooth, then set aside.
- Place the steamed kale in a bowl. Top with the sweet potato, tempeh, avocado, bell pepper, sunflower seeds, and creamy red pepper sauce.
Makes 2 servings