1 lb. apples, peeled and sliced thin
3 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup lemon zest
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
Pinch baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup melted margarine
• Preheat the oven to 350°F.
• Using a bit of margarine, lightly grease an 8-inch-by-8-inch-by-2-inch heatproof dish.
• In a frying pan, cook the apples with 3 Tbsp. of sugar and water over medium heat until all the water evaporates. Sprinkle with lemon zest and set aside.
• Mix the remaining sugar, rolled oats, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Stir in the melted margarine and mix thoroughly.
• Spread half of the oat mixture over the bottom of the prepared dish, then make a layer with the apples, and cover with the remaining oats. Bake for 35 minutes. Topping with a scoop of soy ice cream is optional but highly recommended.
Makes 8 Servings