1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup soft silken tofu
1 cup soy milk mixed with 1 Tbsp. lemon juice (let stand 10 minutes)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups diced, fresh, raw rhubarb
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. margarine, melted
• Preheat the oven to 350°F.
• In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, vegetable oil, and tofu and mix with an electric mixer until smooth. In another bowl, combine the mixed soy milk and lemon juice, baking soda, salt, and vanilla.
• Alternate adding the soy milk mixture and flour to the sugar mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in the rhubarb and pecans.
• Turn the batter into a lightly buttered and floured loaf pan.
• Stir together the sugar and melted margarine, then sprinkle it over the top of the loaf.
• Bake at 350°F for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out dry. Allow to cool before removing from pan.
Makes one loaf