3 gala apples, thinly sliced, cores removed
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 3/4 cups pastry flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/3 cup Earth Balance margarine
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup soy milk
2 Tbsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
• Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour an 8-inch cake pan, then line with parchment paper. Place the apple slices in a single layer and sprinkle with the brown sugar.
• In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
• In a separate smaller bowl, whisk the salt, margarine, sugar, soy milk, vanilla, and vinegar until blended.
• Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, whisking until smooth. Pour the batter into the cake pan.
• Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
• Cool the cake in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes. Invert cake onto a plate and cool.
Makes 8-10 servings