4 ancho chilies, toasted, seeded, and finely chopped
3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 small white onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 cup silken tofu
1 1/4 cups olive oil
• In a small bowl, combine the chilies and the vinegar and soak for 1 hour.
• Meanwhile, place the oil in a small, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 7 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic and cumin and cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until the garlic has released its aroma. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
• In a large bowl, combine the vinegar-and-chili mixture with the salt, pepper, and tofu. With a balloon whisk, combine until completely smooth.
• Drizzle in the olive oil, very slowly at first, whisking continually until completely absorbed. Continue whisking until the mixture is emulsified.
• Transfer to a bowl and stir in the onion and garlic mixture. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week if not using right away.
Makes 1 1/2 cups