Animal Revived Using Mouth-to-Mouth Resuscitation
For Immediate Release:
October 29, 2013
David Perle 202-483-7382
Wenatchee, Wash. — On October 26, a dog started a fire in a Wenatchee apartment by reaching for treats sitting atop the stove and inadvertently turning on a burner in the process. According to news reports, no one else was home at the time. Members of Wenatchee Fire & Rescue were able to extinguish the flames, but there was heavy smoke damage. Emergency crews used mouth-to mouth resuscitation and were able to revive the dog.
For the firefighters’ efforts to save the dog, Wenatchee Fire & Rescue will receive PETA’s Compassionate Fire Department Award.
“Wenatchee firefighters and rescue workers are truly heroes because they don’t consider their job done until all residents—both human and nonhuman—have made it to safety,” says PETA Senior Vice President Daphna Nachminovitch. “PETA hopes the compassion and know-how shown by these first responders will inspire others always to come to the aid of animals in need.”
PETA encourages all animal guardians to place a sign on doors or windows to alert rescue workers to the presence of dogs and cats. Families can order stickers from the PETA Catalog or make their own at home.
Wenatchee Fire & Rescue will receive a framed certificate, a letter of appreciation, animals oxygen masks, and a box of delicious vegan chocolates from PETA.
For more information, please visit PETA.org.