From Chocolate and Croissants to Coconut Cream Pie, Restaurants and Bakeries Nationwide Satisfy Diners' Hunger for Decadent, Cruelty-Free Fare
For Immediate Release:
February 8, 2017
Sophia Charchuk 202-483-7382
Norfolk, Va. – Just in time for Valentine’s Day, PETA has selected the Top 10 Vegan Sweet Treats from restaurants and bakeries across the country. Nabbing the top honor with the Best Vegan Sweet Treats Award is vegan gourmet eatery Sublime Restaurant & Bar in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, thanks to its Chocolate Nirvana dessert—a rich chocolate cake topped with Kahlúa butter crème and dark-chocolate ganache.
Rounding out PETA’s list are the following treats from across the nation:
- The Peanut Butter Bomb at Vegan Treats Bakery in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
- The Croissant aux Amandes at Salt Lake City’s Passion Flour Patisserie
- The Vegan Cass Avenue Carrot Cake at Detroit’s Avalon International Breads
- The cannoli at My Vegan Sweet Tooth in Virginia Beach, Virginia
- The 42 vegan milkshakes at Strong Hearts Cafe in Syracuse, New York
- The Banana Split Split at Sweet Ritual in Austin, Texas
- The customizable gourmet cinnamon rolls at Atlanta’s Cinnaholic
- The Coconut Cream Pie at Back to Eden Bakery in Portland, Oregon
- The S’mores Ganache at Los Angeles’ Little Pine
“Whether you’re in the mood for a cannoli or a cream pie, it’s easy to indulge your sweet tooth while being sweet to animals,” says PETA President Ingrid Newkirk. “As PETA’s coast-to-coast list of decadent desserts proves, choosing vegan treats today is a piece of cake.”
Not only are vegan desserts free of saturated animal fat and cholesterol, they also spare animals immense suffering: In the dairy industry, calves are taken away from their mothers shortly after birth, and parts of chickens’ beaks are cut off with a hot blade when they’re just a few days old.
Each winner will receive a framed certificate. PETA—whose motto reads, in part, that “animals are not ours to eat or abuse in any other way”—is also offering free vegan Valentine’s Day dessert recipes on its website, along with a selection of sweet gifts from the PETA Catalog.