PETA's Putrid Patch Pack Features the Realistic Scents of Embalming Fluid, Spoiled Milk, and More
For Immediate Release:
March 31, 2020
Nicole Meyer 202-483-7382
Norfolk, Va. – Inspired by a University of Oxford scientist’s wearable bacon-scented patch, PETA’s chemistry team has created a brand-new “Go Vegan” Patch Pack, featuring six putrid-smelling scratch-and-sniff stickers:
- Rotting Flesh smells like the decomposing corpse of an animal who felt pain and fear and didn’t want to die.
- Soured on Cream smells like spoiled cow’s milk from an industry that tears baby calves away from their mothers shortly after birth.
- Early Death smells like embalming fluid and dirt—making the point that eating meat is linked to killers like heart disease, cancer, and strokes.
- Open-Heart Surgery smells like blood and iodine, because meat is loaded with artery-clogging saturated animal fat and cholesterol.
- Something Fishy smells like rotting fish, who are killed by the billions even though they feel pain and fear, just as we all do.
- Charred Bodies smells like the burned wildlife victims of forest fires, which are on the rise because of catastrophic climate change—for which the meat industry is largely responsible.
Now available from the PETA Shop, the patches are perfect for anyone wanting a few reminders of why it’s important to go vegan—and they’re a great gift for someone who needs a kick in the pants to make the switch.
“I was thrilled to be able to design PETA’s putrid patches to remind meat- and dairy-eaters why they should kick the habit,” says PETA chemistry specialist Justin Geste. “Meat, eggs, and dairy stink—for animals, the planet, and human health. In addition to being a novelty gift, the patches offer a novel way to make this point.”
PETA—whose motto reads, in part, that “animals are not ours to eat”—opposes speciesism, the old belief that despite their extraordinary talents, abilities, and intelligence, all other animal species are inferior to our own and that it’s acceptable to breed them, steal their babies, kill them, chop up their bodies, and eat them.