One Animal Described as ‘Near Death’ Revived but Later Dies
For Immediate Release:
October 28, 2013
David Perle 202-483-7382
Bowie, Md. — On Wednesday, October 23, Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department responded to a blaze in a house on Sandal Lane. After extinguishing the flames, rescue workers found two small dogs in the home. According to news reports, one of the dogs was “near death,” but both were revived using oxygen masks specially designed for animals. Although one of the dogs is recovering nicely, the more seriously injured dog, Otis, died over the weekend.
For the firefighters’ efforts to save the two dogs, Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department will receive PETA’s Compassionate Fire Department Award.
“Prince George’s County firefighters are truly heroes because they don’t consider their job done until all residents—both human and nonhuman—have made it to safety,” says PETA Senior Vice President Daphna Nachminovitch. “PETA hopes the compassion and know-how shown by these firefighters will inspire others always to come to the aid of animals in need.”
PETA encourages all animal guardians to place a sign on doors or windows to alert rescue workers to the presence of dogs and cats. Families can order stickers from the PETA Catalog or make their own at home.
Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department will receive a framed certificate, a letter of appreciation, and a box of delicious vegan chocolates from PETA.
For more information, please visit PETA.org.