Rescue Workers Used Oxygen Mask to Revive Animal
For Immediate Release:
November 15, 2013
David Perle 202-483-7382
Springboro, OH – Springboro, Ohio — At 4 a.m. on Thursday, firefighters with the Clearcreek Fire District responded to a blaze that began in the garage of a house in the Brookside community and was beginning to spread to other areas of the home. Although all four people inside managed to escape unharmed and the firefighters extinguished the flames, the family’s 15-year-old dog, Hannah, was overcome by smoke inhalation and appeared lifeless. The firefighters used an oxygen mask specially designed for dogs and cats—and now standard equipment for all Clearcreek Fire District units—to revive her. Rescuers transported Hannah to a veterinary hospital, and she’s expected to make a full recovery.
For the firefighters’ efforts in saving her, the Clearcreek Fire District will receive PETA’s Compassionate Fire Department Award.
“The firefighters of the Clearcreek Fire District are truly heroes because they don’t consider their job done until all residents—both human and nonhuman—have made it to safety,” says PETA Senior Vice President Daphna Nachminovitch. “PETA hopes the compassion and know-how shown by these first responders will inspire others always to come to the aid of animals in need.”
“This definitely was a moment of pride for all of us with the success today,” District Chief Bob Kidd wrote in an e-mail to PETA. He also expressed his gratitude for local veterinarian Dr. Gary Beall’s donation of the special oxygen masks.
PETA encourages all animal guardians to put a sign on doors or windows to alert rescue workers to the presence of dogs and cats. Families can order stickers from the PETA Catalog or make their own at home.
The Clearcreek Fire District will receive a framed certificate, a letter of appreciation, and a box of delicious vegan chocolates from PETA.
For more information, please visit PETA.org.