Here is where fantastic flavor and high nutrition come together. Loaded with nutrients, kale is the supreme leader of the green superfoods kingdom. Virtually all of us benefit from the inclusion of more kale in our diet. Pepitas, aka “pumpkin seeds,” are also tasty nutritional powerhouses and a source of protein and zinc. Add in any desired toppings, and enjoy!
Spicy Kale Soup With PepitasView Recipe
- 1/2 cup raw pepitas
- 3 cups fairly tightly packed chopped kale
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup mashed avocado
- 1 Tbsp. peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. seeded and diced hot pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. chipotle chile powder or 1/2 tsp. chili powder (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. coconut or olive oil (optional)
- 2 tsp. wheat-free tamari or other soy sauce, or to taste (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup seeded and minced red bell pepper, for garnish
- Place the pepitas in a small bowl with ample water to cover. Allow to sit for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse well.
- Place in a strong blender with all the remaining ingredients, except the cilantro and red bell pepper, and blend until very creamy.
- Transfer to a bowl, add the cilantro, and stir well. Top with the red bell pepper before serving.
Photo credit: Amy Green
Adapted from the book ‘The 30 Minute Vegan Soup’s On!’ by Mark Reinfeld. Excerpted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright (c) 2013.