Spicy Kale Soup With PepitasPrint
- 1/2 cup raw pepitas
- 3 cups fairly tightly packed chopped kale
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup mashed avocado
- 1 Tbsp. peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. seeded and diced hot pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. chipotle chile powder or 1/2 tsp. chili powder (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. coconut or olive oil (optional)
- 2 tsp. wheat-free tamari or other soy sauce, or to taste (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup seeded and minced red bell pepper, for garnish
- Place the pepitas in a small bowl with ample water to cover. Allow to sit for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse well.
- Place in a strong blender with all the remaining ingredients, except the cilantro and red bell pepper, and blend until very creamy.
- Transfer to a bowl, add the cilantro, and stir well. Top with the red bell pepper before serving.
Photo credit: Amy Green
Adapted from the book ‘The 30 Minute Vegan Soup’s On!’ by Mark Reinfeld. Excerpted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright (c) 2013.