A version of this article first appeared on peta2.com.
Going vegan is definitely gaining popularity as more people learn about the cruelty of eating meat and dairy “products” and the destruction that animal agriculture wreaks on the environment and human health. Here are 14 telltale signs that you’re an Asian vegan:
1. Your parents’ reaction when you first tell them that you’re going vegan is:
2. And they always seem to forget that you’re vegan.
Um … that kind of defeats the whole purpose.
3. Or they simply say:
Seriously, though …
4. You knew what durian smelled like before it was cool.
Scratch that. Durian will never be cool. Too smelly.
5. You can’t even trust your own people.
6. And you’ve become a badass in the kitchen.
7. Meeting another Asian vegan makes you feel like this:
8. Rice is as essential to life as water is.
9. Happiness is discovering a vegan dish at an Asian restaurant that doesn’t contain fish sauce.