The celebration of Halloween traditionally includes many enjoyable activities, such as going trick-or-treating, carving jack-o’-lanterns, or watching scary movies. Have you ever visited a local pumpkin patch, haunted house, or corn maze? So much fun!
But one of my favorite treats of the season comes right after we carve pumpkins: pumpkin seeds! Just be sure to save the seeds and try out this easy recipe. You’ll love this simple and healthy snack. Enjoy!
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
2 cups pumpkin seeds
1 qt. water
2 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. Earth Balance margarine, melted
1 tsp. cracked pepper
• Preheat the oven to 250°F.
• Discard any cut seeds, then remove the stringy fibers from the remaining seeds.
• In a medium pot, combine the water and the salt. Bring to a boil.
• Add the seeds and boil for 10 minutes. Drain and dry.
• Place in a bowl and combine with the melted Earth Balance and the pepper.
• Spread the seeds on a baking sheet. Stirring every 10 minutes, bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown.
Variation: For spicier seeds, add 1 tsp. cayenne pepper, 2 Tbsp. hot pepper sauce, and 1 Tbsp. salt to the melted Earth Balance margarine.
Makes 2 cups