When someone asks me what my favorite cuisine is, I don’t have to stop and think about it: it’s Mexican. I love the flavors, the spices, and the comfort that comes with a hearty plate of rice and beans, a burrito, fajitas, or tacos. I also love that most of the ingredients in Mexican dishes are already or can easily be made vegan. Here is my favorite recipe to make when I want to show off my culinary skills to vegans and nonvegans alike. Try these tacos with a side of fresh guacamole, and you’ll be waiting for an excuse to make them again.
Vegan Lentil Tacos With Sriracha Sour ‘Cream’
1/2 block extra-firm tofu, crumbled
1 tsp. maple syrup
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp. salt
1–2 cloves garlic,minced
2 Tbsp. Sriracha hot sauce
1–2 green onions, chopped
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
6–8 corn tortillas
3 cups water
8–10 oz. dried lentils
1 pkt. vegan taco seasoning (or make your own)
2 cups shredded lettuce
1 cup diced tomatoes
2 cups shredded vegan cheese (try Daiya’s Mozzarella Style Shreds)
- Blend the tofu, maple syrup, lemon juice, salt, garlic, Sriracha sauce, half the green onions, and 2 tablespoonfuls of the vegetable oil until smooth. (Note that the salt, garlic, Sriracha sauce, and green onions can be added to taste.) Refrigerate until ready to use. (You may also simply use 1 cup of commercial vegan sour cream—use as is or mix with 2 tablespoonfuls of Sriracha sauce.)
- Heat the remaining vegetable oil in a frying pan on medium to high heat.
- Using tongs, place a corn tortilla in the pan and cook for about 15 seconds.
- Fold the tortilla over and hold in a taco shell shape until the bottom is crispy.
- Turn over and let the other side get crispy.
- Remove from the pan and place on a paper towel to drain the excess oil. Repeat this process for all the tortillas.
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil.
- Add the lentils and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Strain, place in a pan, and sauté with the taco seasoning. (Note that the taco seasoning can be added to taste.)
- Fill each taco shell with lentils. Layer with the Sriracha sour “cream,” lettuce, tomatoes, and remaining green onions and top with the vegan shredded cheese.
Makes 2 to 3 servings