The following article was originally posted on peta2.com.
You don’t have to sit inside a greasy diner to get delicious diner food! These baked onion rings are a compassionate and healthy twist on the original that you can make at home. Perfect as a side dish for sandwiches or salads or smothered with BBQ sauce atop a veggie burger patty! Whatever your favorite way to enjoy onion rings is, we’ve got the basics covered for you with this simple recipe.
Vegan Baked Onion Rings
1 cup unsweetened soy milk
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
1 tsp. paprika
1 Tbsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 medium-sized onions, sliced into 1-in. rings
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Pour the soy milk into a small bowl and place the cornmeal in another small bowl. In a third bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, paprika, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Dip an onion slice into the soy milk, then briefly into the cornmeal (the cornmeal coating should be thin, not thick). Dip quickly into the soy milk again, then dip into the spiced breadcrumbs (the breadcrumb coating should be thick).
- Place on the baking sheet and repeat the process with the remaining onion slices.
- Lightly spray the tops of the breaded onion slices with cooking spray.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then flip and bake for another 5 to 8 minutes, or until crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.
Makes 4 servings