August 23, 2016
This ordinance bans overnight tethering as well as tethering in extreme temperatures or inclement weather. It also requires that tethers be of a defined minimum length.
SECTION 4. Chapter 505
505.072 NEGLECT OF ANIMALS.
(e) Unlawful restraint of animals. The owner of an animal may restrain an animal on a tether for a reasonable period, provided adequate food, water and shelter from the elements is provided. Tethering is prohibited:
(1) Between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.;
(2) If a heat advisory has been issued by a local or state authority or jurisdiction;
(3) If a tornado warning has been issued for the jurisdiction by the National Weather Service;
(4) If the tether is less than 20 feet, provided the tether does not allow the animal to touch the fence or cross the property line or cross onto a public easement;
(5) If the tether is attached by means of a pinchtype, prongtype, or choketype collar or if the collar is unsafe or is not properly fitted;
(6) If the tether inhibits the animal’s free movement or causes injury or entanglement;
(7) If the animal does not have access to shade, dry shelter, and a tip-proof water supply