December 9, 2010
Animals may not be tethered for more than eight continuous hours or for a total of 12 hours in any 24-hour period.
SECTION 210.055: TETHERING, PROHIBITED CONDUCT
It shall be unlawful for any owner or other person controlling, possessing or having custody any dog or cat to:
1. Leave a dog or cat tethered outdoors for eight (8) continuous hours or for a total of twelve (12) hours in a twenty-four (24) hour period.
2. Tether a dog or cat except by means of:
a. A properly fitting harness or collar of nylon or leather construction which does not chafe or injure the animal, and
b. A tether in proportion to the size of the animal such that its weight and construction do not burden or encumber the animal. The tether must be at least fifteen (15) feet in length with a swivel at both ends.
3. Tether a dog or cat in such a manner that the animal cannot access adequate shelter while tethered.
4. Tether a dog or cat outdoors under conditions where the animal or tether can become entangled on the tether, another animal or some other object or where the tether can restrict the animal’s access to suitable, edible and sufficient food, clean water (cool in summer and unfrozen in winter) and appropriate shelter.
5. Tether a dog or cat outdoors in unsafe or unsanitary conditions or when the tether does not allow the animal to defecate or urinate in an area separate from the areas where it must eat, drink or lie down.
6. Expose a dog or cat to any weather conditions that cause immediate imminent threat to the animal’s physical well-being.
7. No person shall tether an animal on a choke, prong or pinch collar or tow chain or in such a manner as to cause injury, strangulation or entanglement of the animal on fences, trees or other manmade or natural obstacles.
8. No person shall tether an animal in an area where bare earth is present and no steps have been taken to prevent the surface from becoming wet and muddy in the event of precipitation.
9. No person shall leave an animal tethered outside between the hours of 10:00 P.M. and 6:00 A.M., except temporarily tethering outdoors for a time period not exceeding fifteen (15) minutes. (Ord. No. 5469 §1, 6-11-09; Ord. No. 5643 §1, 12-9-10)