Rob Thomas was rightly horrified when he saw a dogfighter’s post on Facebook:
is this even legal?!!! i don't know how people like this live with themselves! beyond disgusting! pic.twitter.com/xiGGS5hgHf
— Rob Thomas (@ThisIsRobThomas) August 31, 2014
When the outraged singer tweeted about the offensive post, PETA saw it and jumped in to help. We let Rob know that we were on it, and our Cruelty Investigations Department is now handling the case. In other celebrity news:
- David Letterman gave PETA and mice some love on a recent episode of the Late Show. “Have you ever seen a mouse struggling for its life in a glue trap?” David asked the audience. “It’s horrible, and it’s why PETA is in business.”
- When Penny Marshall learned that Wayne State University was conducting cruel experiments on a dog named Laverne—after her Laverne & Shirley character—as well as several other dogs, she rushed a letter to the school urging experimenters to free the canines and switch to humane, effective, modern non-animal research.
- Also speaking out against animal testing, Belinda Carlisle joined the chorus of celebrities who are asking the ALS Foundation to use the money that it’s raised from the Ice Bucket Challenge to close its animal laboratories and invest in more relevant human-tissue studies:
— Belinda Carlisle (@belindaofficial) August 29, 2014
- Did ESPN2’s Keith Olbermann help bring down dog-kicking Centerplate CEO Desmond Hague? Keith named the ballpark food services provider the “World’s Worst in Sports” for failing to fire Hague. The ESPN2 host then directed people to a Change.org petition calling for Hague’s firing and encouraged viewers not to buy food at ballparks served by Centerplate in protest. Hague soon resigned.
- Charlie Sheen is blasting the Danish government for arresting 14 Sea Shepherd volunteers who were trying to stop Faroese whalers from slaughtering a pod of 33 pilot whales, saying, “Denmark is complicit in the killing.” The Danish Navy also seized a boat that Charlie had donated to the cause. “The 40-foot Zodiac called the ‘BS SHEEN’ that I donated to Mr. Watson’s tireless and heroic efforts, has been shamefully seized,” he said. “This level of insidious and vicious corruption must be dealt with swiftly and harshly.”
- In happier news, it looks like several more celebrities are thinking about hopping on the vegan bandwagon:
— Queen Latifah (@IAMQUEENLATIFAH) August 29, 2014
To keep up with what all your favorite stars are doing for animals, follow @PETA on Twitter.