An Excerpt From “Grooming Sounds Grand Until Bowser Gets Baked” (From KP’s Dog Blog)
Many people saw the grooming exposé “Pet Grooming Dangers,” on the Today show on August 1, which was prompted by the grooming death of Sushi, the 2-year-old Labrador retriever of one of the Today show’s employees. Sushi had been left for a week at a boarding facility and was supposed to get a bath before being picked up. When her guardian, Amanda, arrived to pick her up, instead of the thrill of a joyful reunion, she experienced the horror of learning that Sushi was unconscious. Not long after that, Sushi died at the vet’s. Later it was determined that Sushi had been put inside a “cage dryer” for 30 minutes with the temperature set at 100°F.
I took one look at those dryers in the Today piece and shuddered. I couldn’t believe my ears as I watched person after person, including someone from The Humane Society of the United States repeat some version of the mantra, “These cage dryers are safe if used properly.”
Excuse me? First of all, the cage dryer has a setting that goes up to 100°F, so it has a built-in setting for death. Secondly, machines malfunction. A groomer might think that the dryer was set at 80°F, but in reality, it might go haywire and shoot up to 100°F or even 135°F. Thirdly, there are many dogs who, for various reasons, are automatically going to be at high risk inside one of these contraptions. These include dogs with flat muzzles, older dogs, dogs with heart problems, dogs with respiratory problems, etc. Finally, the dryers are run by mere mortals, who work for a largely unregulated industry. On any given day, a person can be distracted, tired, hung over, ill, depressed, or just plain stupid—any of which could cause a careless mistake, leading to tragedy…
Read the full entry on KP’s Dog Blog.