Vegetarian to Vegan: Making the Switch

Written by Ashley Palmer | December 28, 2010

Like many people, I once justified eating eggsmilk, and cheese by saying, “But they don’t kill the animals.” What I failed to realize is that the animals who are raised for these products face a horrifying fate that is no different than the one faced by animals who are killed for their flesh.

The money that I was spending on these animal-derived products was going right into the pockets of the industries that I was standing up against as a vegetarian. Once I learned that hens have their beaks cut off with a hot blade and are crammed into cages so small they are unable to spread their wings and that mother cows are forcibly impregnated in order to produce milk for humans and then have their babies stolen away (yep, that’s where veal comes from), I knew I could no longer support any industry that profited from exploiting animals.

Going vegan is the best decision that I have ever made. If you’re in a similar situation, please take a look at my following suggestions for making the transition from a vegetarian diet to a vegan one:

1. Make vegan versions of your favorite meals. Yes, you can use the same exact recipes! Just use soy milk, vegan margarinevegan cheese, and faux meats where your recipes call for the real thing. You’ll be surprised by just how tasty, satisfying, and comforting it is to enjoy your favorite foods without causing a single animal to suffer.
  2. Try new, interesting, and intriguing foods. Ever wonder what mock shrimp tastes like? Or maybe you’ve been too scared to try tofu. Never been to that Indian or Thai restaurant down the street? Now’s your chance! Being vegan will open your taste buds up to a whole new world.
  3. Browse hundreds of free recipes right here. Use PETA’s simple recipe search to find just the meal that you’re looking for. Search by cuisine type, meal type, or keyword, and you’ll be on your way to foodie heaven in no time! Click here to get started.
  4. Ask a friend to do it with you. Each vegan saves more than 100 animals a year. You can help even more animals if you ask your friends, family, and coworkers to go vegan too. Plus, knowing that you’re “in it together” will help keep you motivated.
  5. Remember the animals you’re fighting for. Explore PETA’s website and become familiar with the issues surrounding animal agriculture. The more you learn, the easier it will be to go vegan.

Going vegan is the easiest, cheapest, and smartest thing that you can do for your health, the planet, and animals. Now that’s a New Year’s resolution worth bragging about.

So what are you waiting for? Go vegan now!

Commenting is closed.
  • Ineke de Wild says:

Through dairy products animals are still being abused a lifetime and the being slaughtered, there are billions of animals that shouldn’t exist that have been born under force and are being forced to eat up the food of the people: 1 pound of animal product takes from 3 to 15 pounds of vegetable food and 50 to a 150 times more drinkingwater compared to (good) vegan food etc. that’s why poverty and hunger is for a great deal because of the immense waste of food and water because of the animal products use, most people get more healthy without animals products and save a lot of money through healthcare,
    indeed vegan products should be cheaper we pay for what isn’t in it and healthcare for those who don’t care. . .
    all the same becoming vegan has been the beste choice i’ve ever made and i can recommend it to everyone!

• arries says:

I always shake my head at those who give excuses to not trying to do any good and then knock those who give an effort. Not all vegan food is expensive, and if you cook yourself it’s even less expensive. If more people demanded vegan food, it wouldn’t be such an effort to find it because stores would carry those products. As for comments on poverty, a vegan diet has nothing to do with poverty, just economics. I’m not a “rich” person, depending on what some define as “rich,” and I’ve been vegetarian for almost 20 years and vegan food, and everything else vegan as much as possible for a year. You don’t have to purchase the expensive items either. If people change their eating habits we wouldn’t have hungry people because the land used for cattle can be used for growing crop foods. The real cause here is to end suffering of sentient beings. Poverty has noting to do with eating a vegan diet, even other nations who have “poverty” are vegetarian vegan people and their happy people. (together, WE CAN do a lot to change these abuse’s of animals, just give an effort.)

• lexie says:

I’ve been veggie for about 6 years, recently I tried to become vegan, but it was very difficult. I’m 15 and my parents barley support me being veggie, never mind vegan. So it was hard to find yummy food that wasnt exspensive, that my mom was willing to buy. So i went back to veggie because all i was eating was cinnomin toast crunch, dry and carrots stuff like that, that gets old after a week or so. But eventually i will try again. Probably when I’m living on my own.

• Lullah says:

“because, let’s face it- however unfortunate the circumstances are, animals are still going to go through this. No, it’s not right but you can’t do anything to change this”

No, it may not ever end, there will always be people who don’t care or people who are to lazy to do something about it, but for vegans and vegetarians around the world, it is an uplifting feeling to know for a fact that no animal will ever be tortured for them again. And this is a real cause, to us. If you want to go fight to end poverty then be my guest. Our fight is one for animals. And if you feel the need to criticize then I think you’re on the wrong site.

• Patrick951 says:

My wife and I raise all our own chickens in a very pleasant, open air coop in our backyard. We eat their unfertilized eggs knowing that our laying hens have a high quality of life. These eggs are cruelty free as far as I’m concerned, so, anyone looking to keep eggs in their diet without feeling guilty, perhaps this could be a good option for you too.

• CuriousOne says:

Sharon F.- Scare tactics not cool. It’s one thing to be vegan and another to try and guilt or scare people into doing the same. I’ve been on a meat farm seen the pens that pigs are housed in and read most of PETA’s literature. I still eat meat. I’m not evil I don’t hate animals. I just don’t agree with the point of view that it wrong to eat meat. Animals eat each other, I’m not another step in the food chain. So yeah the videos are gross and I wish farming could be done in a more humane way, but the fact of the matter is reality dictates it’s not.

• Tom H says:

I am a vegetarian who doesn’t eat dairy or eggs actively. Although I do eat vegetarian ready meals that aren’t vegan (include egg/dairy) simply for conveniance. When I have completed schooling I will most likely become vegan.

• Daniel Manahan says:

I was a vegetarian for 25 years and became vegan 6 years ago. The best decision of my life, and it marks the day of my six year old Daughter Sophia’s birthday.

All the arguments for staying vegetarian are for idiots who don’t care about animals.

Vegan is far cheaper than any diet.

Do not buy organic foods, buy GMO in season and cheap. We pay no more than 50 cents a pound for food, and 10 cents a pound for potatoes and we make our own soy milk for 50 cents per galon.

Only an idiot compares how cows and chickens are treated, that’s not the point. It is how they are killed for your fault. Vegegarians kill just as many animals as do meat eaters who eat cows.

Go Vegan or don’t bother.

and watch my daughter’s videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOtsx19tYaM

• JULIO says:

In Jan of 2009 I went vegan, lost 20 lbs. By March I became a vegan and to July I lost 42 lbs. I was pretty heavy, and got down to about 173 lbs. I later decided to go back to a vegetarian diet for 1 more year and gained back up to 193. In August of 2010 I went back to eating meat, pork, fish, chicken, any animal you can think of basically.

Jan 1, 2011 I started on a vegan quest once again. Call me selfish, but I am doing it to lose weight again because I am now at 207 lbs and feel like I am going back to my fat weight (only 33 lbs away). However, I have been torturing myself to watch videos on youtube of people boiling octopi, shrimp, lobsters and fish when they’re alive in order to not want to eat them again. My biggest weakness is sea food with the occasional meat and chicken. Today my mom made Hawaiian styled chicken with pineapple, but I resisted. She also brought Wild Rainbow Trout, Wild Atlantic Salmon and Tilapia from Costco, but I will resist. She also brought Activia yoghurt, which is my all time fave!!!

I will resist, I will resist!!! I do love animals, though not my reason, and I will resist. This year I’m going to buy me a Vita-Mix to aid me in my meals and I’m reading Eat To Live by Dr. Fuhrman for the 3rd time.

BYE>

• Kayla shaw says:

I’ve been a vegetArian for almost two years,and vegan for a few months in between. I definitely feel better when I’m vegan.I’m mostly vegan at the moment,wishing I could be more. I don’t even like dairy or eggs; the only things I eat with animal products are cookies and whatnot. But I feel bad; therefore,when I have the chance to eat completely vegan, I do, and I feel so good about it. Go veganism and Peta !!! Ily

• Meggie-Moo says:

Hey, I’ve been vegan for three years now, and I’m 16 going on 17. It’s hardly expensive AT ALL. The frozen dinners, yes, but if you go to Whole Foods or even WAL-MART they have tofu for $2.00 which is WAAY better than chicken for $6.50 or more. Veggies can get expensive but you should just make your meals based on what’s cheaper AKA what’s in season.
    Anyway, I didn’t original start being vegan for animals. I’m allergic to some form of animal protein. But, being the animal lover I am, I realized I could take my allergy to an entirely new level. So, now I’m vegan with a cause. It’s not impossible, mates. :) Good vegan days ahead to you!
    PS: @Whatthewhat(?) I really don’t think you realize what you’re saying. If you say that going vegan is too expensive then why do you think we have money to pass around to poor people? Americans just need to get jobs, and other countries need to deal with their poverty for the moment because America can’t give money it doesn’t have. Just saying. :3

• Jo says:

I have just recently become vegetarian, and until i earn my own money to buy my own food, i couldnt be vegan, my parents wouldnt allow it. but i was wondering about free range eggs. is cruelty involved there? beacuse from what i know it seems okay, they have room to walk around and graze, and their eggs are un fertilized as far as i know, so i cant see the cruelty in that beacause the chickens have no use for an egg. But i dont know much about it, im just wondering, because if there is no way around the cruelty then i will become vegan at some stage. and what if i got my own chickens and used their eggs, thats not cruel is it? also with things like milk, are there any brands that are cruelty free? because i know that dairy cows need to be milked, otherwise they can get infections and stuff (so i have heard) but it seems the only way to do that cruelty free is to have my own cow, but my mum wont let me.

• BacklasDress says:

whatthewhat…are you serious? haha. Why would you come to a website that is specifically designed to help animals and promote veganism/vegetarianism, and then make comments about how ridiculous it is? I think you should keep your comments to yourself or pick another site to voice your opinions. Perhaps a poverty focused website is more up your alley?

• RoryReloaded says:

Workarounds:
    Eggs – buy free-range eggs.
    Milk – none, but I don’t think they “mercilessly torture” the animals, anyway you need the calcium!
    Cheese – see “Milk”

Where are you getting your sources from?

• trailblazer says:

Actually, the whole cows being artificially inseminated thing is (no pun intended) a load of bull (alright, alright, pun intended…) A cow only needs to reproduce once and, exactly like a breastfeeding human mother, will continue to produce milk as long as she is being milked. Usually the calves remain with their mothers for awhile though so it can be a bit tough to switch from nursing to milking at first when the little one weans…

• concernedcitizen says:

SOY MILK?! WHAT ABOUT THE PLANTS AND ANIMALS CRUSHED TO DEATH EVERY YEAR AS THE SOYBEANS ARE HARVESTED!? WHY DOES EVERYONE CARE ABOUT FUZZY LIVING CREATURES BUT DON’T CARE AT ALL ABOUT LEAFY LIVING THINGS?!

• hannah says:

dear “whatthewhat” or whatever
    this is a real cause! animal rights is a real cause! if you want to fight poverty go ahead but that’s not going to make a difference either! there will always be poor people in this world. and,might i add that being vegan is good for the environment and if everyone were to go vegan we would have enough food for the people who cant afford it. so if you care about poverty go vegan!

• tealeaf says:

I for one think animal rights and environmentalism ARE real causes. And consumers have more power than they think. To “whatthewhat” who says we should focus on things like poverty instead, here’s this: The meat industry isn’t actually that profitable. It’s HEAVILY subsidized by the government. If that tax money didn’t support cattle ranching and instead went to the poor, that would be tremendous. OR we could divert that money to subsidize crop farmers. Veggies would be cheaper, kids would grow up healthier, the health care system would be less burdened, the environment would be less savaged. Win win for people, nature, and economics.

• Ximena says:

You people are SO self centered!!! have you ever stoped to think about what happens in third world countries?? I live in Mexico, Tofu is REALLY expensive, soy milk?? almond milk??? it’s triple the price of cow milk! and really hard to get. So what are you going to tell to the family with 3 kids that survives on minimun wage? oh no! stop drinking milk! that’s cruel! what are you going to tell to the mother who buys as many vegetables as she can afford and scrambles them with eggs so the whole family can eat some?? and what are you gonna tell to the guy in a rural poor area who goes every monday to the local market to sell eggs from his chickens and supports his family from this?? you are missing the point, the point is not to stop consuming animal based products, the point is to get them in a decent and respectful way. Until you start worrying about PEOPLE and the problemas and situations that lead them to eat animal products you will NEVER end animal cruelty

And Kristin, what’s gonna happen to your beloved cows and chicken when everyone decides to stop eating eggs and avoids cow milk? yes, they’ll be gone forever, because as far as I know since ancestral times cows and chickens depend on humans for their survival. Vegetarian, yes, vegan? I don’t think so

• Amy says:

Became veg at age 8 when I learned meat was an animal. Became vegan a few years ago. Best decision ever! I feel so much better! I read the China study and it made my decision very easy.

• Veggie says:

Hi, I’ve been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for about 4 years, and a lacto-vegetarian for about a month. I do not eat eggs and cheese(because of rennet which I’ve recently heard of), but drink milk and eat yoghurt. In my neighbourhood, there are no such things as faux meat, vegan cheese, etc. But even if I could find them, I would not eat them. It does not sound so fair to me. And yes, vegetarian stuff is really, really expensive. Soy milk is three times more expensive than cow’s milk. Same for tofu. But it is worth it. At least I know I’m not a murderer. Hope one day I’ll be vegan.

• Barb Stout says:

I encourage everyone to read the book “The World Peace Diet” by Will Tuttle and all your questions will be answered. I’ve been a vegetarian for almost two years and am pledging to go vegan in 2011. To know that just me alone, I can save 200 animals a year just makes me feel so good. Never feel that it doesn’t help the big picture because–every little thing helps!!

• UtahGirl says:

I’m a vegetarian and I’ve been interested in going vegan. I do buy eggs from a co-worker who feeds her chickens better than her husband (according to him). She has even made a scrapbook showing how much she loves and cares for her chickens. When I heard about that I said sign me up! I want to support local, kind farmers.

• vegvet says:

I have taken the vegan challenge for 1.1.11 After 10 years of being a vegetarian and one failed attempt at veganism, I am ready to try again. However, at a recent TVA (Toronto Vegetarian Association) Food Fair I learned that dietary changes are a minor part of a vegan lifestyle. Try as I may, I am going to be contaminated with animal byproducts for the rest of my life.
    http://www.ted.com/talks/christien_meindertsma_on_pig_05049.html However, awareness and compassion will keep me true to my attempt.

• Kaylyn says:

No Snowraider…cows do not need us to milk them. If we didn’t forcfully impregnate them and steal their babies at birth they wouldn’t need to be milked by us. Those animals are being treated as poorly as animals used for flesh they are just living a longer life of torture. The fact that you think no animals are harmed is ignorant and sad.

• itschristinae says:

I’m pretty young, so when I suggested this idea to my parents they flipped out. My dad said he needed a legitimate reason for doing this and he might actually consider it. I know the reasons, such as the fact that I am helping to save animals, and I am not taking part in their cruelty. But I need more.. Do you have any suggestions. I also live in a very small town so there are not many places to shop for food.. All we have pretty much is a Wal-Mart do they have most of these things?

• nome says:

I am a vegetarian and am deciding to become vegan. sure it might be a little trouble but i think a small amount of inconvenience is worth it when it comes to saving tortured and suffering animals.

• cinderella says:

Amen to that whatthewhat. I could not agree more: Come on PETA: It’s okay to exploit women (your advertising) but a crime if someone drinks milk?

• Kristin says:

Loreena, good for you, that is awesome!!

• Kristin says:

Eric, look at the bright side! Mellow Mushroom has vegan cheese so you can still go out and get a cheese pizza! Or make you own at home with vegan cheese. Make you own muffins and pastries if you want them that much so you can use vegan ingredients! You can still have pasta, just don’t use egg noodles. Onion rings are nasty anyway!
    And Jill…I find myself constantly tell people about why I’m vegan and spitting out facts to them and telling them they shouldn’t be so ignorant and they should consider doing their part to save animals/starvation/the environment…but most of us don’t instigate this ourselves. I end up always saying all that stuff because I find that I constantly have to defend myself and my beliefs because people are always making fun of me and making stupid comments in my face and I get tired of just laughing it off all the time.

• Kristin says:

They didn’t say being vegan is cheap, they said its the cheapest thing you can do for your health. Being vegan can save you tons of money by preventing you from getting obesity, osteoporosis, heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and even vitamin deficiencies, since vegans eat more nutrient rich and varied foods. Try to find anything cheaper than can do all of that for your health.
    And yes, eating dairy IS cruel because dairy is factory farmed just like meat is, and dairy cows end up on somebodys plate at some point anyway. Dairy cows don’t NEED to be milked naturally. They only need to be milked because they’re being constantly artificially inseminated. That’d make you need to be milked too! Even organic farms factory farm these days so please don’t try to make yourself feel better when you know you’re doing something wrong. Keeping a chicken in a cage it can’t even turn around or spread its wings in so you can maximize the number of chicksn you can keep (and, therefore, eggs you can collect) is CRUEL.

• Dajana says:

Currently i am fasting ! In the orthodox church our fast consists of removing all animal products from your diet.. including eggs and milk.It is definitely not cheap !I also feel really unhealthy.I don’t think i could be vegan forever, i currently don’t eat meat just because it disgusts me, but im not gonna stop eating eggs i have chickens who lay eggs! so what am i suppose to do throw them out ? I enjoy milk too much to give it up ! Soy cheese is really gross. Soy milk tastes pretty good though ! there is also almond milk ! just my thoughts

• Loreena says:

I’ve been vegan for about a month, had a couple slip-ups with chocolate, but I’m planning to be completely vegan in the new year. I feel great and I love experimenting with new foods and spices :)

• Sharon F. says:

Once you know what happens to animals on their gruesome trip to our dinner plates, you can’t not know. If you truly care for animals there is no way to go other than vegan. If you are having a hard time passing up foods made from animal secretions, go watch “Earthlings” or one of the other horrifying, stomach-turning videos of designated “food” animals’ miserable lives, which we can stop by going vegan.

• cathyg_91@hotmail.com says:

Myth – Veganism is Expensive – in a weird kind of way – it can be – if you’re doing it the wrong way
    Mostly if you buy a lot of canned, processed, already-made vegan items from specialty food stores then yes – veganism for you will be expensive.
    As many healthy vegans would say – part of veganism is to EAT HEALTHY – and eatting fake meats, ice creams, packaged meals, etc. isn’t necessarily the healthiest vegan meals – being as how they are processed. Other vegan items such as soy milk and tofu are relatively cheap (in fact I saw soy milk at the Dollar Tree – so really i can buy one whole carton for a dollar…). Or even if you wanna stay away from soy – like almond milk or seitan – you can make them yourself (almond milk – just squashed almonds in water) – and there are plenty of recipes for making homemade seitan online – (the only price tag would be hte gluten flour but that will last you lifetimes when you wanna make more instead of buying hte already made ones)

• Jill Margaret Taylor says:

I have been a ‘no-meat-eater’ for many years but have never really gone Vegan. I too have heard that it is ‘not the cheapest way of eating’. Also, I sometimes feel that true Vegans become ‘maniacal’ and always seem to turn ANY/ALL conversations into ‘ways of underlining THEIR beliefs – somewhat like Jehovah Witnesses… Regards, Jill Margaret Taylor (An original Essexgirl living in Italy)

• annie says:

GET HEALTHY ——–GO VEGAN ,IT’S GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH AS WELL AS YOUR MIND.

• Kim says:

Eric, I understand where you’re coming from. I’m pretty good with vegan ingredients, but it gets hard to avoid certain ingredients and eggs are especially sneaky with foods such as onion rings, bagels, etc. My friend and I are Low Maintenance Vegans. We avoid animal products to the best of our ability, but don’t worry about trace ingredients in items such as bread. I’m sure some people find ridding their diets of every possible non-vegan ingredient empowering, but we found it draining and discouraging. This way, we don’t drive ourselves crazy.

To those concerned about cost, I also find this approach very cost effective. For me, being vegan is actually less expensive and cooking at home enables me to spend far less on food. I find most aspects of a vegan diet to be cheaper, but admittedly certain items such as vegan cheese are a bit pricey. My solution is to avoid processed food, avoid organic (for the most part), make seitan from scratch, used bagged beans and lentils (instead of canned), buy generic brands of tofu and tempeh (Trader Joe’s is the best), and make cheese out of nuts (I admit that this is time consuming). I found that a gradual transition was more affordable because it gave me time to find less expensive ways to stock my pantry and I was able to spread the cost out over several months.

• Mauricio says:

I personally…have done my transition from meat eater to vegetarian as of january of this year..that was my resolution and i must say after the extreme cutbacks it’s been 3 months w/o meat for me..i did it little by little..my new resolution is to become vegan,although i know that’s the hardest transition as well…but i know if i can do vegetarian i can do vegan…it’s just that extra step and i know most people that are vegan now were vegetarian for a few years..as far as the spending issue..i got my hours at work severely reduced but i still make that sacrifice just because it makes me feel good to know i’m trying to be one of the few that care..also vegetarian/vegan food has gotten less expensive over time..i think as long as you make an effort and cut down little by little you’ll get there

• Rosie says:

I turned vegetarian three months ago and my parents go super mad. They gave up on converting me back now but gave me a very serious warning not to go any further. They say I’m too young and I can go vegan when I turn 30, but it makes me feel so guilty every time I drink milk and eat my cheese sandwich. :(

• Eric says:

I’ve had a hard time making the switch from vegetarian to vegan. You never realize how many things have animal product in them until you try to find things that are 100% vegan. Forget cheese pizza, instead you can have bread and tomato sauce. Forget muffins or pastries – most are made with eggs. Forget pasta or gnocci – they require an egg to bind the mixture. Onion rings often are soaked in milk and egg and then breaded. See what I mean?

• Loveallcreatures says:

@whatthewhat – What are you even on this page for?? Go give all your money to Bono to save some African children or something if you think humans are so superior to animals. And we COULD put an end to animal cruelty if there wasn’t so many philistines like you out there supporting cruel industries.
    Being vegan is easy. All it takes is a bit of research to find suitable and affordable substitutes. That is NOTHING compared to the burden and guilt I would feel to be a cog in the wheel of an extremely cruel industry. There is NO justification for ANY HUMAN to eat/slaughter/steal/torture any beautiful creatures on this earth. Those who try to justify themselves make me ashamed to be called human. YOU are the ones who should be ashamed!

• missjesslyn says:

@whatthewhat i completely agree with what you said about being vegan very expensive. In the world we live in today I feel it’s almost impossible for a lot of people to be vegan. It’s so time consuming because you have to cook your own things (which are also very expensive) it’s almost impossible to eat anywhere fast and for it to be vegan. Now if you have the time and money for that, that’s great, but I sure don’t. I’m a vegetarian and it is too hard for me to make the switch I feel until I am done with school at least.
    About what you said about not being able to end the cruelty to animals though, I completely disagree. It’s by people eating the animals and dairy that supports the companies who do it. Ending poverty is more impossible than ending animal cruelty because who has the money to give people all around the world? Being vegan is one simple step. By not giving your money to the industry, they would kill less animals because the demand wouldn’t be so high.

• Heather D says:

Snowraider is living with rose colored shades on if he/she thinks the responsibility lies on just the farmer. You are choosing to continue to support these farmers whose sole purpose in life is to make money, not treat these animals with the respect they deserve.
    You choose not to go vegan, fine. But don’t sugar coat your reason why you choose not to go vegan.
    As a cheese lover the choice was very hard for me, and I continue to suffer from dairy withdrawls. But my suffering pales in comparison to these animals.

• Lynn says:

face facts…dairy animals are tortured for their entire lives…their torment lasts longer…than the animals that are butchered…

• Moe says:

I had been vegetarian for 5 years and recently switched to vegan. It’s been one of the best decisions I have made. Every time I decide to eat an animal free meal I feel like I have helped in some way. I know it doesn’t help the big picture that much but I did my part.

• Snowraider says:

I have been vegetarian for many years but am not vegan and do not see any reason to go that way. If farmers are decent to their animals there is no need to avoid dairy products as cows need to be milked and eggs need to be collected. The co…ws do need our help by being milked and the by products of dairy such as yoghurt, cheese etc do not hurt any animals. The onus on how the animals are treated for dairy products is on the farmer. These so called ‘mega farms’ are I believe obscene but it is the consumers demand that has made it so as the mercenary and greedy farmers see this as a means of more cash.

• Marianna says:

Dziękuję :)

• Louise Cara says:

I have been vegetarian for 23 yrs, and last yr went Vegan for 7 months, it was ok & I had only planned to do it for 30 days but was so impressed with the weight loss just carried on. But being a fussy eater & not very experimental, I lived very basically & just took vitamin pills. Towards the end I was just eating vegan oven chips & crisps, that was when I decided to go back to veggie. But my new yrs resolution is to give it another go now.

• whatthewhat says:

How the hell is being a vegan cheap? Most vegan ingredients are double the price of non-vegan ingredients and a large majority of people don’t have access to speciality food stores. Why don’t you focus less on trying to “save” animals (because, let’s face it- however unfortunate the circumstances are, animals are still going to go through this. No, it’s not right but you can’t do anything to change this). Focus on a real cause- like ending poverty.