The Body Shop and Tom’s of Maine: Still Cruelty-Free

Two pioneering makers of cruelty-free products, The Body Shop and Tom’s of Maine, were acquired by large multinational companies, L’Oréal and Colgate, respectively. Caring consumers can send a message to the larger companies that cruelty-free products are good for business by continuing to buy products made by The Body Shop and Tom’s of Maine. Both companies have pledged to maintain their policies against testing on animals.

PETA has a written communication from The Body Shop assuring us that the company’s no-animal-tests policy will not change and that all its products will remain cruelty-free. In a written statement, Tom’s of Maine founders Tom and Kate Chappell assured customers, “You will continue to be able to rely on our tried and true Natural Care products based on our model of stewardship and sustainability. We will continue to make products without artificial preservatives, sweeteners, or dyes and without animal testing or animal ingredients.”

Show Big Business That Buyers Want Compassion Across the Board
When massive corporations buy smaller, more compassionate companies, the big companies learn from the smaller companies’ success that consumers are concerned about things such as animal testing and cruelty to farmed animals. For example, Boca Foods, maker of vegetarian burgers and other vegetarian products, is now owned by hot-dog giant Oscar Mayer; ConAgra owns faux-meatmaker Lightlife; and Dean Foods, the largest dairy-product company in the world, owns WhiteWave, the maker of Silk soy milk and other nondairy products. These conglomerates’ purchases of compassionate companies have caused humane products to become more widely promoted and sold than ever before. Mainstream America sees them and hears about them, and they become more popular as a result. Rather than turning our backs on trusted companies that are looking to expand their businesses and make their products available to caring customers everywhere, it is important that we continue to support these companies, which have rejected animal testing from the get-go.

Large corporations now recognize the expanding market of compassionate consumers who want cruelty-free food, cosmetics, and clothing. We’re hopeful that the strong no-animal-testing policies of The Body Shop and Tom’s of Maine will persuade L’Oréal and Colgate to permanently abandon animal tests once and for all.

What You Can Do
Please ask L’Oréal and Colgate to adopt the same compassionate standards as The Body Shop and Tom’s of Maine:

Colgate-Palmolive Company
300 Park Ave.
New York, NY 10022
212-310-2000
212-310-2475 (fax)
Web form

L’Oréal USA, Inc.
575 Fifth Ave.
New York, NY 10017
212-818-1500
212-984-4999 (fax)
Web form

Search for more cruelty-free products.

Commenting is closed.
  • Lou says:

Like other commenters I’m confused as to why this would be considered ok. I haven’t bought from body shop since they sold to l’oreal; if I did I don’t feel I would be sending a message to the parent company that cruelty free products are good for their business, I feel I’d be sending a message that I’m not bothered who makes the profit as long as the product I’m using is cruelty free. I think it would be a better message to them that, having bought a cruelty free company, sales drop because people care about the ethics of the parent company.

• Irma says:

I’d also like to know how TBS can sell in China if they don’t test on animals as I though that China had a policy that cosmetics can only be sold there if they have been tested on animals?

• Kathi says:

Check out Leaping Bunny. They list companies that are cruelty free AND have an icon next to cruelty free companies that are owned by others that are not cruelty free.

• Stephanie Fraissl says:

I don’t know what to think about this. I actually feel rather betrayed. I carefully choose what to buy and where to buy it from and then I find out the in actuality I was funding companies that test on animals all along. Why is it ok to indirectly fund L’oreal or Colgate by purchasing their products, even though those particular products are cruelty free? Why was it NOT ok to buy from Smashbox when they were considering selling and testing in China, but it’s ok to buy products from L’oreal and Colgate?
    I just don’t know what to think. If PeTA could provide some guidance beyond this article, I would really appreciate it. (and I do very much appreciate them writing this article in the first place).

• Cat says:

The more cruelty free products you buy, the more they will become available. Just because a company once animal tested doesn’t mean that they always will. I think the article is saying to look at the bigger picture so that large companies will realise there is a market for cruelty free products and that will drive them to become more compassionate companies overall.

• AnnV says:

I made the same mistake.. now asking for a refund. You try to do the right thing. I will be more careful the next time.

• Jade Simpson says:

When I went in to my local The Body Shop here in Australia. The lady that served me said they had just received an email to say that L’oreal was also going cruelty free.

• BeagleLover says:

Oh great. I just dropped a lot of money buying online from Body Shop.fr in order to ensure I am buying cruelty free products and then I came across this article! How come PETA are saying it’s ok to still buy from TBS and Tom’s of Maine even though surely it’s lining the pockets of Loreal and Colgate? I’m confused. I don’t think I can buy from TBS again now after reading this??

• Leah says:

The body shop was bought out by L’oreal in about 2006. I 100% agree with “They are owned by companies that test on animals”. The profits are all going to the same place. I was an avid Body Shop user but stopped buying their products immediately. Shame on the Body Shop! Shame!

• They are owned by companies that test on animals says:

The Body Shop is owned by L’OREAL, which tests on animals.

Tom’s of Maine is owned by Colgate-Palmolive, which also tests on animals.

So if one purchases from these 2 brands, one still funds animal testing.

• nimx says:

Is this information still recent and relevent??

• Naz says:

Hi,

Just wanted to find out the date the article was published/written so as to validate whether the information is recent. Thank you.