PETA’s 2009 Top 10 Vegetarian-Friendly Minor League Ballparks
PETA’s headquarters is in Norfolk, Virginia—home of the Norfolk Tides—so we know that there’s nothing better than sitting in the stands on a Saturday afternoon, enjoying a veggie dog and a cold beer or soda, and watching an exciting minor league ballgame. While major league stadiums tend to have a larger selection at concession stands, many minor league teams have recognized the trend toward healthy and humane eating.
Here’s our list of the Top 10 Vegetarian-Friendly Minor League Ballparks for 2009 and a sampling of their cruelty-free menu items:
1. MerchantsAuto.com Stadium (New Hampshire Fisher Cats): Veggie burgers, veggie dogs, vegetable wraps, portobello mushroom cap salads, grilled vegetable sandwiches, various salads, and (available on request) portobello sandwiches and veggie sausage.
2. Frontier Field (Rochester Red Wings): Veggie burgers, vegetarian burritos, veggie taco salads, pasta with marinara sauce, baked potatoes, and salad wraps.
3. PGE Park (Portland Beavers): Gardenburgers, Gardenburger Philly-style sandwiches, Tofurky veggie dogs and Polish kielbasa, and various salads.
4. Harry Grove Stadium (Frederick Keys): Vegetarian Philly “steak” sandwiches (be sure to ask for no cheese), veggie burgers, veggie dogs, vegetarian wraps, build-your-own burritos, and meatless taco salads (ask for no cheese).
5. Durham Bulls Athletic Park (Durham Bulls): Veggie burgers, veggie dogs, sweet potato and black bean burritos, assorted salads, and fruit cups.
6. Recreation Park (Visalia Rawhide): Veggie burgers, veggie dogs, portobello mushroom sandwiches (ask for no cheese), vegetarian Greek wraps (ask for no cheese), and a taco salad bar.
7. Fifth Third Field (Dayton Dragons): Veggie burgers, vegetarian burritos, garden vegetable sautés, vegetable wraps, assorted salads, and fresh fruit.
8. AutoZone Park (Memphis Redbirds): Veggie dogs; black bean burgers; grilled vegetable wrap sandwiches; fresh fruit, melon, and berries in a souvenir mug; chilled sliced watermelon.
9. Nat Bailey Stadium (Vancouver Canadians): Veggie dogs and vegetarian sushi (veggie rolls and brown rice veggie rolls). Available in suites: veggie burgers, fresh fruit platters, and mixed baby greens salads.
10. FirstEnergy Ballpark (Lakewood BlueClaws): Veggie burgers, fruit cups, and salads. Available in suites: angel hair pasta, vegetable wraps, and garden fresh crudités.
Dr. Pepper Ballpark (Frisco RoughRiders): Gardenburgers available on request and fresh fruit cups. Available in suites: roasted vegetable wraps and a garden vegetable medley.
Municipal Stadium (Hagerstown Suns): Veggie burgers, assorted salads, pepper-and-onion Phillies, and veggie dogs (available in the picnic area).
Regions Park (Birmingham Barons): Veggie burgers, veggie dogs, assorted salads, fruit cups, and veggie trays.
Volcanoes Stadium (Salem-Keizer Volcanoes): Veggie burgers, vegetarian burritos, and vegetarian Asian rice bowls.
Avista Stadium (Spokane Indians): Veggie burgers, garden salads, and veggie dogs (available for group events).
Get started on your vegetarian diet today by ordering a free copy of PETA’s “Vegetarian Starter Kit.” It’s loaded with mouthwatering recipes and useful tips and information on going vegetarian. Order one now!