L.A. Ban Passes, Giving Shelter Animals Hope

Written by PETA | November 1, 2012

Update:

Great news! The Los Angeles City Council has passed the ban on selling dogs, cats, and rabbits from breeders and puppy mills in pet stores. Those stores will now be required to adopt out homeless animals from shelters instead.

This is a heaven-sent victory for homeless animals in the City of Angels—let’s hope it inspires more compassionate decisions across the country!

Originally posted August 13:

Los Angeles may soon take a huge stride toward reducing the number of homeless animals—the City Council is expected to vote soon on a measure that would ban pet stores from selling dogs, cats, and rabbits obtained from any source other than an animal shelter or rescue group. The proposed regulation has already been endorsed by the Los Angeles Times editorial board.

The Sun Is Setting on Breeding

PETA, at the forefront of efforts to curb animal homelessness and overpopulation—by offering low-cost to no-cost spaying and neutering, promoting adoption, and discouraging people from buying animals from breeders and pet stores—is understandably psyched about the possibility of the country’s second-largest city taking such a major step toward ending animal homelessness.

If the proposal passes, Los Angeles will join a growing number of cities that are showing that they’re serious about stopping the animal homelessness crisis—and the cruel puppy mills that fuel it—by putting laws in place to block animal sales in pet stores.

It’s standard practice for puppy mills to keep animals in cramped, crude, and filthy conditions without proper veterinary care or socialization.

What You Can Do

If you live in L.A., please politely ask your councilmembers to vote in favor of the proposed ordinance. And if you live elsewhere, urge your city council to pass a law to protect animals from the cruelty caused by their breeding.

Comments

• Janet says:

This is wonderful news and way overdo. It should be outlawed nationwide. Let’s get out of the dark ages, people. No need for breeders.

• Ingrid Vides says:

Yey! That great news! Thanks Peta! I will pass on the news to all.

• bob stone says:

we are animals voice, let’s protect them vigoriously.

• PatF says:

Now if they’d only do the same for birds!!

• Tahmina says:

I saw this news on facebook it came up on my home page, and I’m so happy that LA did this every country should do this. I live in Sydney Australia and I wish our gov would do this, this is a heaven sent victory for animal lovers. Yay keep up the good work PETA I love you guys.

• Greg says:

Wonderful news!

• John says:

Being a family that has bred dogs for more than 50 years, I agree with this, but I disagree with the fact that a lot of breeders who have learned to do it the right way have grown to love having their females give birth. Their puppies are like your own kids. Needing to go to right homes. Yes more animals need to be rescued, but giving birth is a natural part of life, I think breeders should have a license. Putting a complete ban on this is not the right way I feel.

• Lisa Hagan says:

Mike, I couldn’t have said it any better!

• Denise Guilbault says:

I’m not leaving in L.A. but I agree Every place in the world should adopte a law to protect animals.

• Richie says:

There needs to be a ban on mills and breeders all across the U.S. There are to many aneimals in shelters everywhere that are put down because ppl are buying from mills and breeders instead of adopting! Please ppl…if you want a pet…save a life by adopting one!

• Makushla says:

Thank God!!! My faith in Los Angeles has been restored a bit.

• maryeve D says:

animal breeders should be banned forever, too many dogs wihtout a home, homeless and in need, dont make even more of them..

• Mike says:

I agree with Kathsen – it’s the 21st century and we are long overdue for a total ban of all breeding. The thinking that “ethical” breeders are OK and puppy-mills / kitten mills are not, is extremely dangerous. The animal “fancies” fuel the drive towards breeding excess animals. Their fee structures are based around the numbers of animals registered and shown at shows, and also bred from (stud registration fees etc.) And to become an “ethical” breeder is as easy as joining a club and screaming “I wanna be a breeder” – the response to which is “here – have a dog/ cat” (from the other breeders trying to make space to get in more “top bloodline” imports that will win them pretty ribbons and silly doodads, and enable them to sell more high priced animals. No qualifying them first, no exams, nothing to learn, no follow ups, no mandatory inspection of premises to check if there are enough resources. Nada. Zip. And they “better the breed” by breeding brachycephalic (“squashed in”) facial structures, lethal head defects, HCM, PKD, etc. (And they refuse to sterilise the bloodline carrying the genetic flaws). “My bloodlines deah – I can’t possibly let THESE lines go”. I don’t want to hear about “good” and “bad” breeders. Even the good ones are bad – they support the status quo and the registries which proliferate breeding by their award-hungry converts. Away with the animal fancies!! (more correctly, the “me” fancies – because that’s what it’s really all about) Good for PETA and HSUS. Wish we had some really powerful pro- animal lobbies in South Africa….

• James says:

I think it passed now, right?

• kaisa says:

No one in Sweden would Ever dream about selling dogs or cats in store. Unthinkable!

• Gunnel Söderback says:

This is good news! We should respect the animals and not put them in puppy mills.

• lynda free says:

please fight for puppy farm ban let this be a thing of the past .

• Mena says:

I am so thrilled that a law is being passed to end this cruelty. We have so many beautiful animals waiting to be adopted and there are selfish people breeding to bring more animals into the world for the sake of making a quick buck. This law needs to be passed in every state. We need to stop the breeding and overpopulating. Awesome job PETA!!!! Good luck in having this law passed.

• Ingrid de Beurs says:

Have to come laws for selling animals yes

• simon says:

This type of behavior has been passed from the world. Let’s keep the animal rights

• Izabella Takacs says:

stop the breeders

• Kristin E. says:

How can people let animals live in these conditions, & see them day in & out & not care! Ban puppy mill breeders!

• Janeth says:

This is great news! The whole world should ban this. We need a change , Their lives deserve respect.

• Ann Geier says:

Pls help them !

• teresa godich says:

lets stop this act

• Makiko Fujji says:

Iam VEGAN it’s this year. PLEASE STOP NOW. STOP that is!!

• Mary G Thompson says:

I am so thankful for PETA watching out for the animals who cannot speak up for themselves. I am proud to sign this petition and pray for the people who are so cruel as well as for the innocent animals. Karma comes around.

• Kathsen says:

I would LOVE a law on a moratorium on ALL breeding. The animal population is way out of control, and I mean all pets- birds, ferrets, dogs, cats, and horses. Breeders are just as much to blame as anyone, and they need to be stopped. There are many horror stories associated with breeders. I was at the animal hospital recently, and a couple was there who had 2 bull mastiffs that had epilepsy, and they traced other dogs from this breeder who also had epilepsy, and the breeder is aware of this, but she continues to breed anyway. Another time a few yeas ago,a girl came into the animal hospital with a tiny puppy, and she was crying, and she said that the woman who bred the dog was going to get rid of it, because something was wrong with it’s nose, and could they please “save it”. These are just 2 instances that I have seen myself- what else is going on? Also,people think it’s special to buy a dog from a breeder with a “champion bloodline”. A local radio personality was talking about his new puppy, and mentioned that it came from a champion, but really, who cares? When you see the suffering of our animal population that’s already here, that means nothing. If PETA could get laws going that would ban breeding until we have our animal population under control, and stop putting millions of animals to sleep, I would sign it in a minute.

• Vera Silva says:

Treat animals with respect

• Nina says:

Dont buy,addopt!

• Mary arroyo says:

We need to stop this every where these poor animals are being killed very day let’s stop this

• Shelia says:

STOP!!!!!!!

• Joanna says:

Support all the way

• Lisa says:

Dont really understand why Tommy would recommend people to adopt when he breds dogs do’snt really make sense to me, breeders are just the same as puppy mills but on a smaller scale they do it for money for a purebreed they can charge what they want and using them for dog shows is just as bad its all money at the end of the day. Purebreeds are more prone to health problems and harder to look after dogs and cats included, my friend bought a purebred kitten from a breeder poor little girl had to be put to sleep at 14 weeks the vet said thats the problem with purebreeds my friend was soo distressed i went in with the kitten to be put to sleep also someone else i know got a german shepard puppy from a breeder at 3 yrs old he had to be put to sleep again the vet said because its a pure breed, i have 13 rescued cats the oldest is now 18years old the youngest is 4months old which i rescued from a feral coleny, i just want to say there are many animals out there looking for a loving home and the chance to be loved and cared for.

• Mary says:

TOMMY!! 100% agreed, could not have said it better myself!

• kire says: