No, Canada

Written by PETA | May 5, 2010

Canada has a lot to answer for. Twenty years of Celine Dion albums, for one thing. Howie Mandel. Poutine.

OK, those things are just a matter of taste, but then there’s the annual seal slaughter. During the commercial slaughter—the largest massacre of marine mammals on Earth—tens of thousands of seals have their heads bashed in or are shot for their fur. Vile!

So PETA is launching the latest volley in the seal wars: a graphic video showing tourists exactly why they should “explore elsewhere”:

Share on Facebook | Viewing Options
Embed

We will debut the spot in Winnipeg outside Rendez-vous Canada, an annual event that hosts international buyers and travel trade media, and will be airing it around the world in cities in which Canada markets itself most heavily to tourists. Our commercial is in stark contrast to the cuddly seal who is shown playfully jumping on top of a tourist’s kayak in an ad run by the Canadian Tourism Commission, and it should encourage the public to choose other vacation destinations until the seal slaughter stops.

You can help us get the word out by showing the video to all your friends. Then leave a comment telling us where you’ll be vacationing this year—besides Canada.

Written by Paula Moore

Comments

• Meryl Rimmer says:

I’ve tried to upload the video on Youtube but it’s been rejected. I’m now making my thoughts known on my FB page.

• Anita Olejnik says:

Today i saw this video and i cried a lot and can’t move. I’m speechless about this and its killing me. I wrote four letters to the embassy of Canada in Germany but no response. I would like to be a superhero to save all the seals. Before i saw that i thought Canada is a beautiful country but know i see it’s a land build on blood. Boycott all Canadian goods!!! Sorry for my English I’m Polish but living in Germany.

• alex hall says:

Man against a defenceless animal. How coragous and most of the seals are pups would they feel the same if it was there pets or children that were slaughtered.

• Theresa White says:

This vile dispicable and violent act MUST be outlawed. Time to up the anty!

• Big G. says:

As someone who was born in Canada I am ashamed at our governments stand on this and many other animal issues. This industry is not only barbaric it is not viable but the weak politicians bow down to get votes instead of doing what is right. I do know this it is only certain parts of the country that think this is ok and like certain parts of the USA you wonder do people in those parts have mental problems. Seriously.

• Aiden says:

OMG! what is wrong with these people!!? I think we should set up an ambush of people posing as these seal bashers and when they start the event start bashing the bashers!! see how they like it i just cant believe that there are people in this world who consider this normal!! i am shocked!!

• Margaret Chiodo-Keller says:

Canada you should be ashamed. You allow cruel and vicious acts against animals to continue. These animals are innocent victims and your country needs to stop the massacre now and forever. SHAME ON CANADA SHAME ON THE CANADIAN PEOPLE FOR ALLOWING THIS BRUTAL ACT.

• cindy says:

this makes me sick why are they killing these poor seal sicking !!!

• Mario says:

It’s not so much Canada’s fault that this is happening as it is the consumers that are fueling the demand. Who are they and what country are they from? Maybe those should be the ones who are shamed. Don’t get me wrong it is absolutely barbaric that the slaughters happen. But such things happen in commercial “farming” right here in the US every day. Ever seen a Kosher butcher process? Remember those commercials Carl’s Jr. where an oiled woman sorry Paris you’re guilty on this one smears a dead cow all over her face? Nothing sexy about what that “meal” went through to get onto her mouth. Canadians as a whole are cool but the government that condones such atrocities is in serious need of a face slapping yes US you are in the pot too. Kudos to PETA for stepping up and getting the word out about the seals.

• Joseph Zani says:

These seal killers are so tough when dealing with defenseless animals but I can guarantee you I could make every one of them cry much louder . They are not men and never will be they live a miserable live and will no doubt die the same way .I spit on each one of them and suggest they watch their backs as I’m certain that many people know who they are .

• Adolfo Gerbatin says:

Boycotting canadian tourism and it’s products it’s all we can do immediately what’s the criteria for classifying a country that tolerates if not stimulatesthese criminals?

• Peter says:

I remember when I was growing up this was going on with Brigitte Bardot trying to stop it. I cannot believe that I am now 46 and this is still happening. Canada your barbarism totally sickens me. I think that it is time for Obama to reiterate his comments about this once again.

• jean public says:

this is like the dolphin bashing in taiji. it needs to be totally banned. one has to wonder who buys the dead seals and put pressure on these crazed ugly people. lets take away the market for this seal bashing it is deplorable.

• nana says:

beautiful country sick people

• DEL says:

SHAME SHAME ON CANADA AND THOSE THAT PERPETUATE THIS AUTOCITY ON NATURE AND THOSE WHO CANNOT SPEAK UP FOR THEMSELVES. CANADA HAS NOTHING THAT ANYONE IN THE WORLD NEEDS AT THIS POINT. THOSE THAT KILL THE INNOCENT ARE GOD’S MISTAKES.

• Bev Short says:

I have been petitioning since I was a kid I’m now 46 for this to stop. I hope with Peta’s help it will one day. I’d certainly like to see it happen in my lifetime so my kids can grow up knowing that it took years of campaigning but we got there in the end.

• Eric Chipman says:

Come on good friends! You have an abundance of wild wonders here. SO WHY ARE WE WATCHING THIS UNNECCESSARY SLAUGHTER OF SUCH PRECIOUS SPECIES? SHAME ON YOU! IT IS TIME TO STOP THIS ABSURD PRACTICE!

• Rosella says:

When I see such barbaric images I feel ashamed to be a human being. They should ask these poor animals to forgive them because one day nature could give them a worse pain….and I really wish this!

• Rae-Lynn says:

Being Canadian I am horrified and saddened by this gruesome and cruel act of killing. It is so disgusting. I can’t believe it happens right here… But please know that not all Canadians support this massacre! Canada is a very big country. There are just a few backward evil people who think this is right. I think a boycott on products is fair.. but to boycott the whole country is unfair. The People on the west coast have nothing to do with it especially. Please dont generalize all Canadians we are mainly peaceful and compassionate people.

• MARIA CECILIA GOUVEA WAECHTER says:

It is not the first time I watch this video. I am Brazilian and with many friends wrote a letter to the Ambassador of Canada with copies to all the canadian consulates in Brasil. The brutality on these marvellous creatures makes me sick. Do not stop to send the video I will send now to the Canadian Amassador Consulates and friends. There must be a legal way to stop it!

• Christopher says:

What do you expect from a country that is mediocre in everything else it has ever produced…please exclude Michael J. Fox and Ryan Renyolds.

• Michalis says:

Such a pity that we use the only power nature blessed us with intelligence to “get back at nature” and destroy it for our selfish benefits. In times like these i’m ashamed for being human.

• Romy says:

I am not a crying person but to know that such ignorants unspeakable animals think they can abuse an innocent seal. SHAME ON CANADA AND EVRY IGNORANT WHOM DONT CONDEM THIS AYTOCITY!

• Cassia Glock says:

I’am so sad and sick about the circunstance we live today. I will do the best I can to provide information and help PETA to STOP the cruelty with ALL those innocent animals. THE WORSE ANIMAL ON EARTH IS CERTAIN HUMAN

• Marta says:

I couldn’t finish watching the video Those big dark eyes looking into my soul please don’t give up ever you’re the only voice for those lovely creatures. God bless you all! .

• fernando says:

i hate humans…we are the cancer of this planet

• Mel Austin says:

Disgusted and Horrified! The worst I’ve seen yet. How do they explain this to their children? One of the many reasons why I am vegetarian and fur free! “O’Canada” You sicken me…!

• suzie says:

I’ve heard about it but have never watched the video Truly sick I don’t think I’d have a problem bashing in the heads of those men though? Isn’t that weird?

• Wendy says:

SHAME ON YOU CANADA!!! It is blatant disregard for life. All the Canadians murdering lives for money should be shot in the head!

• José Luis Remi says:

Excelent. Put in all comunity pages this videos. Is criminal that they are doing show it to everybody. Trully excelent inciative. Go on.

• Jennifer says:

I’m from Canada and the Canadian government has been in the pocket of the fur industry for a long time. This whole industrygovernment propaganda and lobbying operation works just like oil gas nuclear power arms manufacturers and other industries which fly in the face of both decency and the common good lots of money spent in order to fool the voters and fight public opinion. Thank you for continuing to fight back on behalf of the seals PETA and PETA supporters.

• Jeannine says:

Thank you Sea Shepherd for having so many years ago brought this to the world’s attention. Not much has changed in these 14 years but maybe now finally with the help of backings of orgs. like Peta something will finally happen. The “harvest” has much worst pictures than you show cutting penises off and playing with them while the baby lies dying close to its mother writhing in pain whos mother is in extreme anxiety over it too. There was a Norwegian that took much footage of this 15 years ago and when the Chinese who are the biggest importers found out that it was going to be aired on CNN pulled strings to get it pulled and the man and his family have run for their lives through Europe since that time and I am not sure exactly what happened to the brave man. Sea Shepherd tried to show the Canadians that they could comb the same hair out without disturbing the cubs in fact the cubs appreciate the hair removed. There is no need for this travesty. The Canadians told the Sea Shepherd that there were not enough seal pups that they could kill if there were morethey would kill those too. It will stop I just hope sooner than later.

• Laura says:

I wish MSNBC OR CNN would take up this issue in the U.S. to put additional pressure on Canada to END THE SLAUGHTER AND CRIMINALIZE EACH AND EVERY HUNTER!

• Linda S says:

Thanks for posting this PETA. Makes me sick. I will NEVER visit Canada due to this. Why support the tourism industry for them to profit when they are allowing these sweet seals to be slaughtered? Something really needs to be done!!!!!

• Marta Mares says:

SHAME ON YOU CANADA’S GOVERNMENT. YOU ARE DECEIVING THE WHOLE WORLD WITH OTHER SEEMENGLY CORRECT ATTITUDES WHILE CONDONING THESE MASSACRES WITHOUT A FLINCH IN YOUR FACES. fROM ARGENTINA i DESPISE YOU AND SO MY MANY FRIENDS.

• Sarah Williams says:

This is absolutely heart breaking. I hope it makes a difference!

• Ramona Thompson says:

Keep up the good work showing this horror. While it is so very hard to watch people have to speak up on behalf of creatures who have no voice. These “hunters” are no better than the Chinese who skin alive defenseless dogs cats raccoons and other animals This is a sickening brutal and compassionless practice. It warms my heart to know that most Canadians are against this. Shame on Canadian authorities who continue to turn their heads and allow this! Somebody is making money off the suffering and slaughter of these creatures or you can be sure it would not be allowed to continue.

• Connie Hendricks says:

The people that do this to poor innocent animals should have their heads bashed in instead of the baby seals.

• julie atallah says:

GOOD FOR PETA!!!!!!!!!!! I AM PROUD TO BE PART OF AN ORGANIZATION THAT TAKES BOLD STEPS TO PROTECT THE ANIMALS. THIS IS A REPRESENTATION OF THE COUNTRY THAT MANY HAVE NEVER SEEN OR ARE NOT AWARE OF GOOD FOR PETA FOR BEING TRUTHFUL ABOUT CANADA.

• Caroline says:

I am Canadian I have donated to Peta in the past and and will always defend animal rights BUT I’m disappointed at Peta’s attempt to damage Canada’s economy last time I checked the US wasn’t a leading country in terms of animal welfare and would rank below Canada in most aspects. So when does Peta plan on calling a largescale boycott on the US???

• Heidi Burgener says:

I too am appalled by what people will do. I am so proud of those Canadians who stand up to this. The sad thing is that as long as there is a demand for fur the killing will go on. If only we could lobotomise those ignorant people who keep this going through their stupid greed. let’s name and shame them.

• Kim DeCore says:

I will NEVER step foot in Canada and will show this video to anyone who thinks they might like to go there. Heartless bastards!

• Kel Hatt says:

I’ve boycotted all Canadian products whenever possible for years due to this barbaric practice. I dread having to go to Canada this October to support my girlfriend giving a professional speech but I won’t be staying any longer than possible. In and out ASAP without hopefully spending a dime in the country.

• Chris Flanger says:

Unbelievable Canada!! I will never put my foot there as long as this cruelty goes on. How can the people in charge from the government explain these pictures to their kids. Shame on you!! Chris Flanger Germany

• Ruth Serra says:

Genesis 128 Further God blessed them and God said to them Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth and subdue it and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving upon the earth. 29 And God went on to say Here I have given to YOU all vegetation bearing seed which is on the surface of the whole earth and every tree on which there is the fruit of a tree bearing seed. To YOU let it serve as food. 30 And to every wild beast of the earth and to every flying creature of the heavens and to everything moving upon the earth in which there is life as a soul I have given all green vegetation for food. And it came to be so. If you read what it says it says Here I have given to YOU all vegetation bearing seed which is on the surface of the whole earth and every tree on which there is the fruit of a tree bearing seed. To YOU let it serve as food. God was talking about animals and people eating VEGETATION. ANIMALS ARE NOT FOR EATING OR FOR WEARING. ANIMALS ARE FOR CARING AND FOR LOVING THEM. The planet space stars everything is his GOD. Be careful what you do to GOD’S creation for he is always watching. And if you want him to remember you care for his animals. And if you believe in god or you do not you have to believe simple you eat drink sleep breath these are his rules and we all have to live by them. REMEMBER SOONER OR LATER WE ALL WILL DIE SO WHAT WE DO WILL ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED BY HOW WE ACT IN GOD’S WORLD.

• Leanne McIvor says:

sick bastards!

• Mike P says:

This activity is barbaric to say the least. It’s 2010 AD not BC…time CANADA to put an immediate end to this brutal insanity and public disgrace.

• Donald J. Shaw says:

Maybe someone needs to hire these professional military snipers ready to shoot and kill these sick murderous seal hunters before too late. It is time to stop now. It is disgusting!

• Eddie Cintron says:

This is not acceptable destroying the Eco System by killing these wonderful friendly creatures. Canada please sop the slaughter.

• Elisa says:

Catherine Canada is a third world country sweety. You should know that “third world country” is an unusual term nowadays. And the countries which you call “third world country” they don’t allow such cruelty like Canada. Please get some information before you give your opinion. Thanks.