No, Canada

Written by PETA | May 5, 2010

Canada has a lot to answer for. Twenty years of Celine Dion albums, for one thing. Howie Mandel. Poutine.

OK, those things are just a matter of taste, but then there’s the annual seal slaughter. During the commercial slaughter—the largest massacre of marine mammals on Earth—tens of thousands of seals have their heads bashed in or are shot for their fur. Vile!

So PETA is launching the latest volley in the seal wars: a graphic video showing tourists exactly why they should “explore elsewhere”:

Share on Facebook | Viewing Options
Embed

We will debut the spot in Winnipeg outside Rendez-vous Canada, an annual event that hosts international buyers and travel trade media, and will be airing it around the world in cities in which Canada markets itself most heavily to tourists. Our commercial is in stark contrast to the cuddly seal who is shown playfully jumping on top of a tourist’s kayak in an ad run by the Canadian Tourism Commission, and it should encourage the public to choose other vacation destinations until the seal slaughter stops.

You can help us get the word out by showing the video to all your friends. Then leave a comment telling us where you’ll be vacationing this year—besides Canada.

Written by Paula Moore

Comments

• Delia Southall says:

I live in a third world country South Africa and I can honestly say Canada is far ahead on cruelty in this aspect than what we deal out to the animals here. I could expect it from here but not a first world country with modern technology etc why must you be so inhumane? Disgusting disgusting disgusting but well done Peta keep the pressure on if thats what it takes to eleviate this mammoth cruelty.

• Daniele Dolleans says:

As a French i loved Canada. But now I am disgusted by these slaughters. I’ll never go again to this country

• Dena says:

This is a bunch of BS. This makes my blood pressure rise. I hope they get help soon and to the men who do this how do you sleep at night?

• Tucker says:

NOT VACATIONING IN CANADA EVER AGAIN THAT’S FOR DAMB SURE!!!! EVEN WHEN YES WHEN THIS DISGUSTING THING STOPS FOR GOOD I WILL THINK LOOOONG AND HARD BEFORE EVER GOING BACK!!!!!! IT REALLY SICKENS ME THAT WE ARE STILL FIGHTING TO STOP THIS!!!!

• Malvina Landau-Blake says:

NAZI NAZI and again NAZI!!!!! I think this video should see all the people around the world it can leave anyone indifferent! They don’t even finish their dirty job by not letting those helpless animals die leaving them in horrifying agony. WE MUST STOP THEM!!!!!

• Gail Harris says:

NOTHING DESERVES TO DIE THIS WAY!!!!

• Margit Tahane says:

Shame shame on you Canada you are nasty and undevelopet and inhuman country cause you allow this to happen I will never buy anything that comes from Canada until this unnecessary slaughter ends! I have already banned all Chinese products cause of their fur farming and thats horrible as well.

• Val says:

As an English teacher I always advise my stds to go study in Canada. But this whole story about seals is so ridiculous….I just dont get it…..maybe I am changing my mind…there are other places in the world for people to study English….

• RabidLeroy says:

If that doesn’t work then a full on evacuation of Canada will!

• Cory Rivard says:

I really want to know what time this will be taking place in Winnipeg because I really really want to be there!

• John says:

Seriously who buys fur items these days? I want to know why the demand for these products hasn’t dried up yet….. I seriously wonder too how these sealers sleep at night knowing they bashed in the eyes and heads of those baby seals who couldn’t get away. Many people will do just about anything for the right amount of money but I don’t understand how anyone could do this ever. Shame on Canada and shame on these men. GOOD WORK PETA… Looking forward to more antiCanada campaigns until they change their position.

• Klara says:

How awful… THANK YOU PETA !!! Hope everybody watches it… my poor breakfast

• Natalia says:

Thanks agian PETA! Good job I really pray this makes a difference. It’s disgusting behaviour from such a nation. Directed only at the perpetrators! Please stop this cruelty!

• Allie says:

I am a Canadian and am appaulled by the seal hunt. There have been petitions to our government and protests but we have seen little in the way of progress. The majority of Canadians are adamently against the seal hunt. Kindest Regards Allie

• Catherine says:

Hi Canada please be an example to the third world countries. Stop this!

• Rachel Larivee says:

I am appauled at the actions that occur during the annual seal slaughter. It is deeply disturbing that this is allowed to happen and even more disturbing how it happens. I want to assure people that Canadian citizens DO NOT stand behind this annual occurance. This is not something we are proud of. There are thousands of canadians who actively campaign against this. I ask that you campaign with us not against us.

• Mary Ellen Skinner says:

This makes me sick! Shame on Canada!

• Tatiana La Scala Lambauer says:

Canada should respect the whole world feeling about this horrible killing. It is being so frightening to know that such and advanced country is so pitiless and coward againt these lovely beings! I am boycotting Canada. I doubt that Canada people agree with this. International law should be urgently approved to deffend unavailable rights like the lives of defenseless animals. Sorry my english mistakes Im from Brazil.

• Aneliese says:

Good job PETA! I live in Winnipeg can’t wait to see this on the news!

• Caroline Brennan says:

Hi! I’m and ashamed Canadian and have been protesting and donating to Peta and several other organizations to stop this sickening massacre! I have been posting this to my wall on FB and sending footage via my personal email. I wrote to my MP and all I got back was a generic letter from the government condoning this disgusting act! Most of us Canadians want this stopped so I’m supportive in anyway to this cause!

• vishalsahu says:

a href”httpwww.sapiencebpo.com” rel”dofollow”BPOa

• Rev. Meg Schramm says:

Found something fantastic in a biker magazine I found at a Blessing Of The Bikes rally at Cooks Corner in California last Sunday. I wish I could remember the name of the magazine. On page two there was a full color photo of a sealer using a hakapik on a defenseless seal while his buddy stood in a boat watching. The second photo also in full color showed the skinless body of the murdered seal with a blood trail leading to the boat. There was a rifle in the boat propped in the direction of the seal. Here was the caption This makes you want to go to this beautiful place grab the rifle and use it on the guy killing the seal and his $ buddy in the boat. Sealers get $14.00 per seal. Canada has done this for too long and it needs to stop. For more information go to Canadiansealslaughter.org. I got the magazine from a large pile of them and a lot of bikers were reading them!!

• Sonia says:

I’m also a Canadian who is deeply ashamed and disgusted at my country’s sadistic practices. I do what I can to help stop this horror and try to spread the word to my fellow Canadians who are under the impression that the Inuit people who live in the Arctic are responsible for the hunt as the government leads the public to believe. The Canadian government rationalizes the seal hunt by blaming our declining fish stocks on the seals. LIES! ALL LIES! I think it’s pretty clear humans are responsible for over fishing. Please don’t bash all Canadians it is just as absurd as me bashing all Americans for factory farming…

• Neil whose sister's a cop says:

I must say I’m truly horrified to learn this barbaric practice has been kickstarted again. I was of the belief it had been banned…

• Elizabeth Warkentin says:

I am a Canadian and I am sickened by the barbaric cruelty of the commercial seal hunt in Canada. My heart aches for the seals and for all animals who endure agonizing lives and deaths for the sake of humans whether it be in the name of fashion food or science or just plain outright cruelty. Humans have a responsibility to care for the planet and all living creatures. Please PETA please help put a stop to the seal hunt. Still let’s not assume that the average Canadian supports this shameful practice. Stephen Harper and his idiotic party must be stopped. If it means banning all Canadian products and boycotting the Vancouver Olympics until it stops then so be it.

• Amanda A. says:

Please people stop bashing the entire Canadian population. Only if we stand together can we stop this seal hunt. In history many wars have been lost due to the fact that there was far too much inner fighting. This is a war we must together united. It is the only way to save those innocent seals.

• Caro says:

Attention all Canadians Support the Harb Seal Bill! and Help Senator Harb to stop the massacre of seals!!

• Pauline Carter-Hedger says:

I am appalled and sickened that this barbaric practice still takes place especially in a First World country like Canada. It is totally in humane and calls for a TOTAL BAN. I used to visit Vancouver often but until the Government rules to ban the slaughter of seals I will not spend any money in promoting Canada’s tourism or trade.

• Akool says:

I live in Ontario and going around gathering signature for a petition to ask the government to put a ban on the seal slaughter. It would be much help if Canadians would get as much signatures as they can and mail them to PETA

• Veronica Dickey says:

Samantha what a gracious wonderful act to refuse to cover Vancouver! Your act has restored some faith in humane humans. There has never been nor will there ever be anything remotely humane about seal hunting. Watching the videos from the HSUS website on seal slaughter is horrifying!

• westcoaster says:

The slaughter might be inhumane but it only happens once a year what about the US bringing horses over the border to get slaughtered in Canada under inhuman conditions?

• Jennifer says:

I am Canadian and the slaughter of seals is completely unacceptable. This has been the only time in my life I can say that I am ashamed to be a Canadian.

• Darlene Von Rhienien says:

I am a Canadian Citizen living in the U.S.A. and I have to say I am ashamed to be Canadian at this point because of this barbaric practice that is being allowed. This must stop!!!!

• Jill Balfour-Smith says:

Dear PETA Cruelty to animals is the thing that I feel most strongly about and take action on instances of it. We don’t need fur to wear when there are crueltyfree alternatives. What else can I boycott to help the seal pups?

• Samantha says:

I was recently asked to write an article on Vancouver Canada as a travel destination ahead of the 2010 Olympics for a popular magazine of an English language publication here in Southeast Asia. Restaurant reviews a summary of interesting retail shops along with the city’s history and tourist attractions were to be highlighted with photographs in a prominent fourpage feature. Due to ethical reasons surrounding the barbaric killing methods used in the annual seal hunt I am proud to say I will NOT write about this Canadian city nor will I have anything to do with promoting this city’s endeavors until Canada cleans up its act and starts treating all its animals humanely.

• Kaila says:

I say an eye for an eye. Anyone who kills an animal in this way should have the same done to them. I bet the Canadian Government would think this is wrong so why do seals have less rights??? GO PETA!

• Susan korths says:

shame on you CANADA This is not a country I would like to go its a bloody place with lot of pain on the landscape. Stop killing these poor little babies

• Dr. Yvette Aghakhanians says:

Sick disgusting shameful. Peta all the way. How can they sleep at nights knowing what they have done.

• Julie says:

CANADA is to blame for this because they allow this practice against the seals SECOND it is the people who BUY FUR who should be ridiculed for even wearing it on their backs!!! Yes we need to focus on the source and that is the CONSUMER if they didn’t buy it there would be no market for it!!!!!!

• sissel kardel says:

Please wash the blood from your hands Canada and put an end to the needless killing in the name of greed and vanity. Humans are too evolved now to continue take actions like this and not suffer the pain of regret and self inflicted sadness on our souls. Humanshave an internal barometer of what is just. To go ignore it and defy justice not only hurts the animals and the perpetraitors but humanity and life itself.

• Ginger says:

I think the only possible good that can come of the millions of lives lost in this annual slaughter is the lifting of the veil for omnivores on the senseless loss of life for our food and clothing. The seal hunt is an opportunity for vegans to take omnivores to those “glass walls” Linda McCartney spoke of and as they begin to feel outrage about the hunt they may also begin to understand the countless other senseless sacrifices made each day to feed the human desire for stuff for the closet and stuffing for their bellies. It’s on Canada for the sealsand for all the other unfilmed less cuddly animals who await their pitiful deaths today.

• harriet says:

In Mahatma Gandhi’s words “You can judge a nation by the way it treats its animals and mammals come the Canadian Government show us that you are humane and stop these horrific and barbaric acts even your own people do not like what you are doing.

• Anilkumar R says:

I am Indian following the PETA news letters. I is very shameful thing to slaughter Seals for their fur. Being a intelligent Human should find other alternative to FUR.Our Science and technology is touching new highs. One should try to reduce the consumption of meat. God given us these Analytical brain to help and co exist with nature. Converying heartful thanks to PETA for supporting Animal which can not express their feelings in words.

• Ileana says:

This cruelty has to stop!! I can’t understand that in this era such abominable activities still are going on!! STOP THE SLAUGHTER PLEASE!!!

• Sylvia says:

I am from the Netherlands and I am proud that my goverment boycot Canadian sealhunt. Boycot Burberry also!!!

• Surendra Prasad says:

Everyone should boycott anything that is Canadian until this barbaric and senseless massacre is stopped totally. We in India who are against this lunacy will not be watching the Canadian Olympics and will not be buying the products or even watching the ads of the companies that endorse the Canadian Olympics. I hope good sense and compassion prevails upon the people of Canada and this slaughter is stopped immediately. Our hearts are with the poor seals and our wholehearted support is with PETA.

• T.K. O'Shannahan-Hyland says:

Don’t hate all Canadians for the seal hunt. Everyone I know has been quite vocally opposed to it ever since it was so publicly exposed in the 70s. Rather than dissing an entire nation for the actions of a few how about helping us pressure our government to ban this hellish slaughter? Oh and FYI the seal hunt has never been based in sport. Aside from the Inuit hunting seals for food the annual slaughter of these harmless animals has always been based in the greed of the fashion industry. Please pressure the Canadian government the Olympic Committee and the fashion houses which are using seal fur. If we all stand together we will be heard. We can’t be hating each other as a house divided can only fall. We all bleed the same color as each other and our furry little friends.

• Angela says:

This is so barbaric shameful. unfathomable cruelty. Im boycotting anything to do with the Vancouver Olympics and am never going to Canada until it stops this bloody slaughter!

• Adriano says:

After so many letters and global public outrage the day of ending the sealslaughter atrocity in Canada is on it’s waybe sure…PETA won a lot of significant victories with continuous pressure to certain targets of animal abuse and that’s the bestnonviolent way to achieve our goal…If Gandhi could succeed and greatimperial Brittain felt on her ass than big Canada is no exception…No political force can stand such pressure and ignore so many voices endlessly…Soto be continued…

• Steve says:

This relentless Canadian bashing is completely absurd and any of you who HAVE been bashing the whole population of Canada should probably consider the number of Canadian PETA members before posting rediculous comments like some of those above Angela. People also need to consider some important facts a most Canadians DO NOT support the seal hunt b NO country can say their hands are completely free of animal blood yes Angela that means even you and whatever country YOU’RE from and c it is the unfortunate demand for seal furs that keeps the hunt going not the “cold heartedness of Canadians”. If you want this seal hunt to stop you can’t blame the hunters they’re trying to feed their families. Sure it’s a horrible profession to get into but some people might be limited in their career paths. I am completely and wholeheartedly against the seal hunt in every wayYES I am a Canadian but I feel that people are being far too closeminded about this situation. The appropriate place for anger to be aimed is towards those who WEAR garments made of seal skin and therefore keep the market open for the seal hunt. And wow THINK ABOUT YOUR INSULTING COMMENTS BEFORE YOU POST.