Another Dead Orca at SeaWorld

Written by PETA | October 5, 2010

Another day, another death at SeaWorld. The latest casualty is a 25-year-old orca named Kalina who died yesterday at the theme park’s Orlando location, far short of most orcas’ expected 50- to 60-year life span. As usual, SeaWorld will likely try to keep this death on the down low.

Kalina spent two and a half decades in misery, never having the chance to choose a mate, live with her family, or roam the vast oceans.

Stig Nygaard/CC by 2.0

SeaWorld’s cheap tricks will continue to cost animals their lives as long as the public buys a ticket. Please tell SeaWorld’s owners that you’ll be staying far away. Also, check out PETA’s True Friends Memorial page set up for Kalina here.

Written by Jennifer O’Connor

Comments

• lavina castelino says:

stop forcing animals 2 work like slaves n keep them away from their natural habitat…its a shame on we humans…i will never encourage seaworld n their shows…

• Beverley says:

Never have & never will go to a Marine (so called park), Shame on you SEAWORLD! The eyes of the world are watching

• Shannon Martel says:

I will never go to Sea World. Shame on them for abusing these beautiful creatures of God. When an Orca kills a human it gets to the news but when a human kills an Orca it doesn’t . How terrible. It tells us how uncaring and heartless Sea World is to their animals. Shame on you Sea world!!!

• Melissa says:

Animals are not for our entertainment we should be able to see these beauitful animals in the ocean free not in captivity peforming tricks to amuse us. I feel so sorry for Kalina how she never got a mate was never able to swim with her family or have the wide open ocean to swim free! These animals should be left in the ocean where they belong animals are not ours for entertainment. I hope more people see sea world as a creul place and no longer visit places like this! RIP Kalina you are free now x

• Melissa Thompson says:

Seaworld you suck!! I will never buy a ticket to sea world, animals are not for our entertainment. We should be able too see them in the wild FREE not swimming in the size of dolphin tanks peforming tricks to ammuse people. Animals are not for entertainment. I feel so sorry for Kalina to have never had a mate swim with her family or experience the wide open ocean!!

• Beverley Exton says:

I thought SeaWorld employed the likes of Marine Biologists, & acredited veteranarians????

So I am confused??  How do trained professionals allow animals in their own establishments to be treated so cruely??  Dont they have the power to shut these places down?  Or (silly me) is it the MIGHTY DOLLAR that rules over everything??  These vets & marine biologists that work for SeaWorld should be ashamed of themselves!! You cant call urselves animal lovers.  I would leave SeaWorld open only as a Marine Animal Hospital….after animals are better, they then should be released.

• FRANK NOCE says:

Dear sea world profit makers. The time for profiting of the misery of other living beings is near an end, at least for you. Americans are little by little be cumming acutely aware of the suffering you put animals through in the name of entertainment for profit.

• Doris says:

I have enjoyed several visits to Seaworld in my lifetime, but ignorance was bliss then. No more Seaworld for me. These animals deserve to be free. If you really care about them, let them go…with care.

• PETA says:

The situation with Lolita at Miami Seaquarium is truly heartbreaking, as the owners of the Seaquarium have long turned a blind eye to her suffering. Many groups, including us, have campaigned for Lolita’s release. We wrote to the aquarium and Florida officials, and put this as an alert on our Web site. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) licenses animal exhibitors and is supposed to enforce the federal Animal Welfare Act (AWA). However, suspensions of operations are rare; revocation of licenses or seizures of animals is almost unheard of. The USDA has a lengthy history of coddling animal exhibitors and facilities and giving advance notice of supposedly unannounced inspections. Clearly the agency is not fulfilling its mission to protect animals. The terrific group that continues to spearhead the campaign to see Lolita live out her days outside of a tank has a Web site here: http://www.SaveLolita.com.

• Petya Panayotova says:

Please,stop treating animals like this!!!They are living creatures just like us,and they have feelings ,too!

• Danielle Frye says:

Im in science class and I watched the video of the people being me to the animals on the front of the page! Its sad to see people do that to the poor animals that cant defend them self! I wish we could stop those people and we might beable to stop them so any way I almost cryed! HELP SAVE THE ANIMALS PLZZZZ! An were doin a projec ton animal rights for writing class!!!!! <3 animals! :p :)

• KiwiBirdx11 says:

I have been 2 SeaWorld before and I THOUGHT they were NICE 2 their animals! SeaWorld! U R CRUEL!

• Keilie Poindexter says:

Im in science class and I am working on an Aminal Rights project. PEOPLE R SOOO CRUEL 2 ANIMALS! IT MAKES ME WANNA CRY! =( When i c someone bein cruel 2 an animal I wanna go and HURT them like they HURT animals! ITS NOT RIGHT!

• Anonymous says:

Ok. This has been going on for years. I get that you guys are animal lovers, I am too, but just because that one person says they’re never going to seaworld again doesnt mean anything to them. For that one person there are millions taking your place. And for another thing, they’re not gonna stop using animals  for amusment. I agree that yes they should be free, but they’ve been raised in captivity for so long that they would not SURVIVE if they were let go. They would DIE in the wild. These captive animals have had no survival experience so it is SAFER and in the benifit of the captive animals to stay where they are. The truth isn’t pretty, but get over it for your sake.

• Roberto says:

Please release All the whales to the sea so they leave their life to the fullest!

• aleyda says:

its rely sad how sea animals and alot more animals are taken from there home just for entertainment or cruelty :(

• diana says:

This is terribly upsetting, I’ve never been to sea world.

• Amber says:

Shame on seaworld! Using animals for the excitment of others. No wonder the whales rebel against their trainers.

• Angie from Florida says:

It is Shameful what you people continue to do to these poor animals. First, you take them away from their home & families under very stressful conditions; then you confine them to inhumane conditions. Keeping food from them unless they perform correctly for you. Small tanks to live in. This is what terrorists do to people. You are a bunch of Animal terrorists!! All of you!!! Every employee that works at your facility is an Animal Terrorist!! If I could, I would take you away from your families under terrifying conditions & treat you the same way you treat animals. But, I am not a terrorist!! KARMA WORKS IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS!! SOME DAY YOU WILL GET YOURS!! ALL OF YOU!! LET THEM FREE!!

• PETA says:

It is no coincidence that 3 orcas have died at SeaWorld in the last 4 months. In fact, at least 23 orcas have died in U.S. SeaWorld facilities since 1986–and not one died of old age. In the wild, killer whales have a life span of 50-60 years, and some have been documented to live as long as 90 years! That is far longer than these whales at SeaWorld. Life at SeaWorld is vastly different than life in the ocean. Orcas naturally swim up to 100 miles per day, something they are unable to do when confined to a tank. Also, killer whales are group-oriented mammals who travel in pods while communicating with their friends and family. Performing “tricks” for people does not come naturally to whales or any marine animal. Former trainers say that withholding food and isolating animals who refuse to perform are two common training methods. It is no surprise that orcas continue to die at SeaWorld because they are deprived of all that is natural to them.

• Holly Ward says:

But she does live with her family! You have no proof that she lives in “misery”. Actually, all the evidence shows that she is happy! She interacts with trainers and learns new things every day, and obviously, you cannot force a whale that weighs as much as a school bus to do this.

• dog lover says:

how can people treat animals so..such a miserable condition…is money more important than the lives of such speechless animals.wish the owner of Seaworld is punished for what he is doing since years

• taylorjade. says:

i have hated seaworld and marineland since i was a young girl, my parents took me once and i refused to ever go again. disgusting mistreatment of purely wild animals that should NOT be enslaved and forced to do tricks for human ammusement. humans make me sick more and more each day.

• Rachel says:

Okay, I am by no means a supporter of SeaWorld or any facility that keeps marine mammals captive. I don’t believe in it and I think it is cruel to do so. However, I am dismayed by PETA’s focus on them. I get that they are a hot news item right now, with the death of Dawn and the three orcas this year. But SeaWorld isn’t going to stop keeping this animals captive. Not for a long time anyway. Not with their attendance numbers. It’s easy to say you want SeaWorld to retire them to coastal sanctuaries but that would be an enormous undertaking. The sheer logistics of that boggles the mind. Meanwhile, Lolita is languishing at the Miami Seaquarium. Why has no AR group stepped up to help her? The Miami Seaquarium isn’t owned by a huge conglomerate like SeaWorld. They are violating the Animal Welfare Act right now (and not just with the size of her tank) but haven’t been cited. That’s something you could really go after them for. I’m sorry but it’s hard for me to get behind PETA here when they have so clearly turned their back on Lolita.

• Jenn Karan says:

The life span of an Orca whale is 50-60 years. If Seaworld cannot properly take care of animals that SHOULD NOT be used for entertainment, Seaworld is abusing animals. I have never gone to Seaworld because of this, and this just makes me even sicker. It states that Kalina was 25 years old, and lived a miserable life… why would you keep it then, it belongs in the wild where you found it!

• Jennifer says:

As a child I often (very often) went to zoos and aquariums. I feel in love with these magnificent creatures!! But now that I am older and wiser I know that they do not belong in captivity. Nothing can compare to being free in the wide open sea!!

• JULIA says:

This is also to SEAWORLD- WE WILL CONTINUE TO FIGHT UNTIL YOU ARE SHUT DOWN- FOREVER! Julia-

• SIerra says:

I think that this is very sad. Althogh, as bad as it is, it wont stop. These animals are worked very hard, and I want to be a marine biologist/vet to help them all. I hope he died in peace. On the other had: Seaworld may not be THAT bad for animlas. Compared to dealers on the black market

• AlinaO says:

STOP IT!

• Alina says:

Please…..stop kill them/// I’m veru sad about it.

• Britta says:

To stop this tragedy every voice counts – just communicate with everybody in your life AND write to Seaworld resp. zoos etc itself. As often as you like… “One Person can make a difference… Be that person.”

• rachel says:

she has gone somewhere where she can never be mistreated again. poor angel to spend such a lonely and unnatural life. now she swim in heaven.

• SheeMix says:

When will SeaWorld learn? So freaking ridiculous!

• mrz.diaz says:

ive never been to seaworld but shameon them this makes me relctant to go

• Ran-a says:

Never been there…..and will never go there!!!

• nancy says:

I went to a park with captive mammals in pools when I was very little. I found the experience very sad. This kind of “entertainment” needs to stop. Anyone with compassion will not enjoy watching captive animals perform unnatural tricks for humans.

• CorkyOrca says:

RIP Kalina!! you were such a sweet whale! you have touched the lives of many and will not be forgotten :(. i am sad i never got the chance to see you

• adriel says:

Why they do this?,money don’t bring that whale again?

• Jo-chan says:

This is really sad, it’s like being imprisoned for your whole life in a small and cooped space where people control how much you eat and your freedom is so limited. This is really cruel. I believe that if people will stop orca fishing or selling orca body parts or even selling orcas, the oceans will thrive with them in 30 or so years. Then at that time only will people realize how precious and how beautiful orcas are when they are in the wild and free from this cruelty.

• Sandy Holt says:

People will never stop taking animals out of their natural habitat in order to make money off them. Money is the “root of all evil” and places like this just prove it! There will be no animals in the wild in the future and that is sad………

• Mary says:

Another Orca? Seriously seaworld wake up!

• Megen says:

I think it is terrible. First the whales can’t have any human contact or love and now they are dying.

• Lois says:

These creatures are nothing more than money-making merchandise for Sea World. They do not care about the health and happiness of the animals, but only of the stupid humans who pay large sums of money to visit their park, where the word “amusement” applies to everyone but the poor, miserable animals.

• Bryony Joscelyne says:

Let animals out of prison and live free.

• vegasallen says:

How exactly do we know that this whale was “unhappy” and killed because of SeaWorld? Animals die in nature prematurely all of the time. Perhaps, it was this whale’s time, like when a 40-year-old person drops dead. It’s doesn’t have to be someone’s fault. Might just be there time.

• Maria Hernandez says:

I am committed to show every person I know how wrong we are for allowing this barbaric shows to continue, my children will never see a circus or seaworld in their life!!

• Karin says:

We are taking our son to San Diego and initially considered Sea World, but they will not be getting our money for their cruelty now!

• Sherry says:

Everywhere people are starting to learn that you lie when you try to use the word “educational” to cover up your true reasoning for the imprisonment of wild creatures, their captive breeding, and the smile on your face all the way to the bank. You are sickening, and the capture of these beautiful beings is sickening to watch.-All for your feeling good about the money it brings to your pockets. I teach my children and grandchildren that the “TRUTH” is told, when people are taught that it is wrong to take an animal from its natural habitat and why, and that the only right way to view a wild creature is in its native habitat, on television, or movies, dvd’s. Period.

• andeep63 says:

It is no longer difficut to explain to my 13 year old son, the animal loving child who he has become, WHY, after only one visit to a dolphin water park place on Florida´s Atlantic coast when he was four the reasons we wil never frequent such places again. His photo was taken with a dolphin named April..and one after the other children came to lean near her or give her a small fish snack. I look at the photo now with such guilt. April should be free…if people want to view dolphins, sit by the sea and wait for their whimsical and natural show or go sailig and enjoy their tagging along side your vessel. But don´t trap them into small pools and force them to fit into OUR world for fun. Just so NOT right.

• Shawna Mansuy says:

Kalina’s death is very very sad to me. She was the first captive born orca to survive. She was gentle and very sweet. Her buddy was Taima, and for those of you who do not know, Taima died in June of 2010. The two spend alot of time together along with Taimas calf. You have to wonder if the loss of Kalina’s friend was too much for her to handle. Sea World began breeding Kalina at the age of 7 1/2, that is very young for an orca to be impregnated. She was a money making machine for Sea World and that’s all. Infact, one of her calves was sold to Loro Parque. Sea World doesn’t just breed for themselves, but they have been known to sell their orca’s to other marine parks. It is suspected that our Kalina was also pregnant and due mid 2011 which makes this story even more sad. Sea World’s first captive born orca dies at 25. In the wild female orcas live to 50 or 60 on average. There are some alive currently in their 80′s and 90′s. We have enough research and documentation that proves captivity kills, so why do we let these marine parks continue to exist. Shut them down. P.S. For those of you passionate about releasing orcas in captivity a whale by the name of Lolita at the Miami Seaquarium could use your help. There is a documentary called Slave To Entertainment that is a must see. It will break your heart, but hopefully move you into action. Thank you for your time.