Terms and Conditions
Your use of the PETA text message and alert service (“the Service”) is governed by the terms and conditions below. Use of the Service constitutes your acceptance of these terms, which take effect when you sign up for the Service. If you do not agree to these terms, please do not sign up for the Service.
1. You must be at least 13 years old to use the Service, and if you are under 18 (in the U.S.) or under the age of majority in your province/territory of residence, your parent or guardian must have read and agreed to these terms before you subscribe.
2. PETA does not charge for the Service, but your carrier’s standard messaging charges apply. You agree that you are responsible for paying your carrier’s charges to use the Service or, if you are under 18 (in the U.S.) or under the age of majority in your province/territory of residence, that you have permission to use the Service from the adult responsible for paying the carrier’s charges.
3. PETA reserves the right to change these terms or cancel the Service at any time. Please check these terms on a regular basis for changes. Your continued use of the Service after changes are posted will mean that you accept the terms as modified by the posted changes.
4. PETA will send up to 10 messages per month. The campaign/Service is compatible with most handsets. Supported carriers in the U.S. include ACS Wireless, Alltel (part of Verizon Wireless), Appalachian Wireless, AT&T, Bluegrass Cellular, Boost (iDEN), Boost Unlimited (CDMA), Cellcom, Cellular One from Dobson (part of AT&T), Cellular One of East Central Illinois, Cellular South, Centennial Wireless, Cincinnati Bell, GCI Communications, Illinois Valley Cellular, Immix Wireless, Inland Cellular, Nex-Tech Wireless, Nextel (part of Sprint), nTelos Wireless, Revol Wireless, Sprint, Thumb Cellular, T-Mobile, United Wireless, U.S. Cellular, Verizon Wireless, Virgin Mobile USA, and West Central Wireless.
Supported carriers in Canada include Aliant Mobility, Bell Mobility, Fido, MTS, NorthernTel Mobility, Rogers Wireless, SaskTel Mobility, Télébec Mobilité, TELUS Mobility, Vidéotron, Virgin Mobile Canada, and WIND Mobile.
5. To unsubscribe at any time, simply text the word or words “STOP ALL,” “STOP,” “END,” “CANCEL,” “UNSUBSCRIBE,” or “QUIT” to the short code that you wish to stop receiving messages from: 99099 or 73822. You can also e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to unsubscribe. If you require assistance, want additional information, or have questions about this Service, text the word “HELP” to the short code you wish to receive assistance with: 99099 or 73822. Or e-mail email@example.com.
7. PETA makes no representations or warranties whatsoever regarding the Service. PETA hereby disclaims all warranties, including any implied representations or warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
8. PETA shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, consequential, special, incidental, punitive, or any other damages, even if PETA has been advised of the possibility of such damage or loss, arising or resulting from or in any way relating to your use of the Service.
9. You expressly agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless PETA, its directors, officers, employees, servants, agents, representatives, independent contractors, and affiliates from and against any and all claims, damages, liabilities, actions, causes of action, costs, expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees), judgments, or penalties of any kind or nature whatsoever arising from your use of the Service.
10. These terms shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, and any arbitration or judicial proceedings to enforce or interpret the terms hereof may be brought only in Norfolk, Virginia.
1. Are you going to charge me for this service?
PETA does not charge for the service, but your carrier’s standard messaging charges may apply.
2. How do I unsubscribe from receiving text messages?
To unsubscribe at any time, simply text the word “STOP” to the short code that you wish to unsubscribe from: 99099 or 73822. Or call 1-866-251-1200.
3. Who is Msgme?
Msgme is the platform chosen by PETA to deliver text messages and ringtones. It is a service from Waterfall Mobile.
4. How do I find the message Msgme has sent?
Cell phones vary dramatically on where and how they display SMS/text messages. We regularly test the Msgme service on more than 800 phone models, although some models have variations based on the carrier. Unfortunately, there is no standard set of instructions on how to find text messages on the wide variety of phones.
Below are some tips that should help you, however.
Typically, there is a menu button on the phone that, when pushed, lists all the available options. Look for an option that says, “SMS,” “Text Messages,” “Messages,” or “Notifications.” This will open up a list of all messages that your phone has received, listed in the order that they were received. Scroll using the arrow keys on your phone until you see a message from the number 99099 or 73822. Once the message is highlighted, press the “OK” or “Go” button or the green button on your phone to open the message.