1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup grated carrot
1 1/2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1 cup basmati rice
1/4 tsp. saffron (may substitute 1 1/2 tsp. turmeric)
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
2 Tbsp. Earth Balance margarine
1/4 cup chopped parsley
Salt and pepper, to taste
• Heat the oil in a large, high-sided pan.
• Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
• Add the carrots and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
• Place the rice in the pan and stir well to coat with the oil and mix the ingredients.
• Add the saffron or turmeric, chopped peppers, peas, and broth and bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice has softened.
• Stir in the Earth Balance and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Makes 4 to 6 servings