Vegan Caramel PopcornPrint
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil or other high-heat oil
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 3/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 250ºF, using convection mode if you have it.
- Pour the coconut oil in a large pot, add one popcorn kernel, and cover. Once the kernel pops, immediately add the rest of the kernels. Keep heating until there is 2 seconds between pops. Transfer to a 9-inch-by-13-inch or larger cake pan or glass casserole dish.
- In a small pan, melt the vegan butter and add the brown sugar. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring continuously, until the mixture bubbles and rises a little bit, about 3 minutes.
- Add the baking soda, vanilla extract, and salt. Stir to incorporate, then pour over the popcorn. Stir to coat. Bake for 1 hour, stirring once halfway through.
Makes about 8 cups