Vegan Caramel FillingPrint
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup vegan butter (try Earth Balance brand)
- Combine the sugar, lemon juice, corn syrup, and water in a heavy metal saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Do not stir. Brush down the sides of the pot with water to prevent sugar crystals from forming until the sugar has completely melted and the mixture is clear.
- Stir slowly. The color will begin to darken. Once a dark amber color is reached, add the coconut cream and mix well. (The mixture will bubble, so be careful.)
- Stir in the nondairy margarine and cook until thick (about 185ºF). Remove from heat and let the caramel cool completely.
Makes 2 1/2 cups