For the Tomato Sauce:
1 28-oz. #3 can whole tomatoes, blended
1 8-oz. can tomato paste
1 Tbsp. maple syrup
2 bay leaves
2 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1/4 cup barley or rice miso
• Bring all the ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan and simmer for 30 minutes.
For the Cannelloni:
1 bunch spinach, washed
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 block firm tofu, crumbled in a food processor
2 tsp. tarragon
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp. umeboshi vinegar
8 cooked cannelloni noodles
• Scald the spinach in boiling water. Let sit for 5 minutes, then drain well and chop.
• Sauté the onions and garlic. Add the spinach and tofu and mix well.
• Add the tarragon, salt, nutmeg, and umeboshi vinegar, mixing well.
• Fill the cooked noodles with the spinach-tofu mixture.
• Place the stuffed cannelloni in a single layer in an oiled baking dish. Top with the prepared tomato sauce and cover with foil. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until browned.
Note: You can cook lasagna noodles and cut them in half to use in place of the cannelloni noodles.
Makes 8 cannelloni