For the Glaze:
3/4 cup cane syrup
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup sake
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sriracha sauce
• Combine all the ingredients, except the sriracha, and bring to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, or until syrupy.
• Add the sriracha, adjusting the amount to achieve the desired level of spiciness.
For the Rice:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced carrot
2 cups jasmine rice
2 cups water
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 1/2 Tbsp. salt
2 tsp. black pepper
3 bay leaves
2 cups green peas, frozen
3/4 cup fresh coconut, toasted
• Heat the oil in a medium stockpot. Add the onions, celery, and carrots and sauté for 10 minutes, or until soft.
• Add the remaining ingredients, except the peas and coconut, and bring to a simmer. Cook for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
• Add the peas and coconut, mixing well.
For the Skewers:
1 1/2 lbs. extra-firm tofu
1 lb. fresh pineapple chunks
2 large onions, cut into 3/4-inch dice
2 red peppers, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch dice
1 1/2 lbs. whole cherry tomatoes
1 lb. whole crimini mushrooms
12-15 coconut-lime or bamboo skewers
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
• Thread the tofu, pineapple, onions, peppers, tomatoes, and mushrooms on the skewers.
• Brush with the oil and season with the salt and pepper.
• Grill for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until the vegetables are softened and browned.
• Brush with the prepared glaze and grill for 2 minutes on each side, or until caramelized.
• Brush again with the glaze and serve over the rice pilaf.
Makes 10 servings