For the Marinade:
1 cup tangerine juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp. chopped garlic
1 1/2 tsp. whole black peppercorns
2 tsp. fresh thyme
Zest of 1 tangerine (or orange)
3 cups olive oil
• Combine all the ingredients, except for the oil, in a food processor and blend for 15 seconds.
• While the machine is running, slowly add the oil to form an emulsion.
For the Skewers:
1 1/2 lbs. extra-firm tofu, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
2 large onions, cut into 3/4-inch dice
3 yellow peppers, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch dice
1 1/2 lbs. whole cherry tomatoes
10 citrus-rosemary skewers or bamboo skewers
1 cup fresh tangerine or mandarin orange segments for garnish
• Thread the tofu, onions, peppers, and tomatoes on the skewers.
• Place in a bowl and pour the prepared marinade over the tofu and vegetables. Let sit for 4 hours.
• Remove from the marinade and grill over a medium flame for 4 minutes on each side, or until the vegetables are slightly cooked and grill marks appear. Serve immediately with the citrus segments.
Makes approximately 10 skewers