Strawberry Lemonade CupcakesPrint
For the Cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup nondairy milk (try soy, almond, or coconut milk)
- Juice and zest of 1 1/2 lemons
- 2/3 cup organic sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. lemon extract (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped strawberries
For the Frosting:
- 1/3 cup finely chopped strawberries
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup cold vegan margarine (try Earth Balance)
- 1/2 tsp. lemon extract
- 2 1/2 cups sifted organic powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the nondairy milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, oil, and lemon extract and whisk vigorously until well mixed.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix well, then pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and combine with a spoon. Add the strawberries and stir.
- Pour into a muffin pan lined with cupcake liners. Fill each liner two-thirds full.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- To make the frosting, combine the strawberries and 3/4 of the lemon juice and zest in a saucepan. Cook on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Place in the refrigerator to cool. Whip the cold vegan margarine for 5 minutes using a hand or electric mixer. Add in the remaining lemon juice and zest, the refrigerated strawberry mixture, and the lemon extract and whip again until combined. Add in the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until everything is combined.
- Frost the cupcakes and garnish with a halved strawberry, lemon wedge, and halved drinking straw. Enjoy!
Written by Ashley Welsh, a vegan baker for Rincon Market in Tucson, Arizona.