1 1/2 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 Tbsp. margarine
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded vegan smoked mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded vegan cheddar cheese
Big pinch red pepper flakes
Vegetable oil for preparing the tortillas
8 thin corn tortillas
1 small red or green bell pepper, seeds removed and cut into fine dice
• Preheat the oven to 400°F.
• Place the potatoes in a pot with water to cover. Cook, covered, until tender, about 20 to 40 minutes. Drain and mash with the margarine and salt. Cool completely.
• In a small bowl, mix the “cheeses” with the red pepper flakes and set aside.
• Heat 1/8 inch of oil in a skillet over medium heat until hot. Cook 1 corn tortilla until soft, about 8 to 10 seconds on each side.*
• Put the tortilla on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Cook the rest of the tortillas in the oil, covering with foil when done to keep warm.
• Place each tortilla on a flat surface. Using a 1/3-cup measure, put a scoop of mashed potatoes in the middle of each tortilla. Pat the potatoes with your hand to flatten them a little. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. of the diced bell pepper and 2 Tbsp. of the “cheese” mixture.
• Roll each tortilla into a large tube. Use 1 or 2 toothpicks to “sew” the top flap down, so that the tortilla will stay rolled up.
• Put the tortillas in a roasting pan or on a baking sheet, toothpicks facing up. Bake until the “cheese” has melted and the tortillas start to brown and crisp around the edges, about 15 to 20 minutes.
• *Note: Do not let the tortillas get crisp; they need to be oily so that they get crisp when roasted in the oven.
Makes 8 servings