Iced Gingerbread CookiesPrint
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. baking powder mixed with 3 Tbsp. cold water
- 7 oz. agave syrup or brown rice syrup
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Sprinkles, for decorating
- In a large bowl, beat the applesauce with the sugar.
- Add the spices, baking powder–water mixture, and syrup and mix well.
- Add the flour gradually and mix into a stiff dough. Shape into a ball and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- On a flat, floured surface, roll the dough out to 1-inch thickness and cut with holiday-themed cookie cutters. Place the cut-out shapes on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. (Allow some space in between, as they will spread a little while baking.)
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges. Allow to cool.
- Mix the powdered sugar and water until smooth. Spread on the cookies and decorate with sprinkles. Store in an airtight container.
Makes 4 servings