3/4 cup water
2 onions, chopped
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1 Tbsp. paprika
1 1/2 tsp. dill weed
1 tsp. caraway seeds (optional)
1/8 tsp. black pepper
3 Tbsp. soy sauce or lite soy sauce
1 cup water or vegetable stock
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. unbleached flour
2 cups soy milk or rice milk
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
3 Tbsp. red wine (optional)
• In a large pot, heat 1/2 cup of the water and add the onions. Cook over high heat, stirring often, for approximately 5 minutes, or until soft and all the water has evaporated. Add the remaining water, stir, and cook for an additional 3 minutes, or until lightly browned and most of the water has evaporated. Add the sliced mushrooms and the spices.
• Lower the heat slightly, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the soy sauce and the vegetable stock. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
• In a saucepan, mix the olive oil and the flour to form a thick paste. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
• Whisk in the soy milk or rice milk and cook over medium heat until steamy and slightly thickened, stirring frequently.
• Combine with the soy sauce mixture.
• Stir in the lemon juice and the red wine just before serving.
Makes 6 servings