Eggplant and Portobello PastaPrint
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4-6 portobello mushroom caps, gills scraped out and sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium white eggplant, peeled and diced
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup beer of your choice, preferably the same beer that you’re pairing with the dish
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 cup frozen peas. thawed
- 1 lb. penne pasta, cooked according to the manufacturer’s directions and kept warm
- 4–5 cups vegan Parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-size skillet over medium heat. Add the mushroom pieces and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the eggplant and season with the salt and pepper. Stir often and cook for approximately 8 to 10 minutes, or until the eggplant cubes become tender.
- Add the beer and rosemary, bringing the mixture to a boil. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the peas and simmer, covered, for 2 minutes. Stir in the pasta, cooking for approximately 30 seconds, or until the pasta is warmed through.
- Garnish each serving with vegan Parmesan cheese.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Adapted from The Ultimate Beer Lover’s Happy Hour by John Schlimm. Suggested Beer Pairings: Vienna lager, golden ale, American wheat ale.