For the Cupcakes:
1 cup vegan horchata
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. almond extract or vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups flour
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line the muffin pan with paper liners.
- Whisk the horchata and the vinegar together and let sit a few minutes until curdled.
- Beat together the horchata mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and other extracts, if using, in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix until no large lumps remain.
- Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until done. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting:
2 sticks vegan margarine, softened
7-8 cups confectioner’s sugar
1/2 cup vegan horchata
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Whip the margarine in a mixer on high speed.
- Sift the confectioner’s sugar and set aside.
- Add the horchata, vanilla, cinnamon, and 4 cups of confectioner’s sugar to the margarine and beat until combined.
- Add the remaining sugar 1 cup at a time until the desired consistency and sweetness are reached.
- Frost each cooled cupcake using a knife or piping bag.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
Makes 12 cupcakes