I had always been very intimidated by risotto. Everyone told me that I needed perfect timing and constant stirring—or else! When I lived in Italy, I watched Italian moms prepare risotto without breaking a sweat. I have been craving it ever since but never thought that I had the skills to make it all come together. I found this recipe and adapted it to my own culinary needs, and it turned out rich, creamy, and molto buono. Why not try it yourself? Buon appetito!
Vegan Creamy Mushroom Risotto
Adapted from KaleWithLove
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 shiitake mushrooms, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 cup chopped onions
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups filtered water
1 cup uncooked short-grain brown rice
2 stems fresh rosemary
1 cup vegan mozzarella shreds (try Daiya brand)
1/4 cup almond milk
- Combine the balsamic vinegar and mushrooms in a small bowl and allow to marinate until needed.
- In a medium saucepan, sauté the garlic and onions in the oil on medium heat until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the water and bring to a boil
- Add the rice and rosemary, stir once, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover until the rice is fluffy and cooked.
- Add the vegan mozzarella shreds and almond milk and lightly stir over low heat until the “cheese” is melted.
- Add the mushrooms and serve.
Makes 3 to 5 servings