Firm tofu, which you can buy in almost any grocery store, is one of the easiest substitutes fish. To make tofu fish n’ chips, dredge marinated tofu in a mixture of flour, corn meal, and Old Bay seasoning, and then fry it in an oil that won’t burn over high heat. Serve with a side of fries or chips and vegan tartar sauce for a complete meal. Enjoy!
Tofu Fish ‘n’ Chips
1 16-oz. pkg. extra-firm tofu
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 clove minced garlic
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup corn meal
1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
- Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch slices and wrap with paper towels to drain the excess water. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper to make a marinade. Add the sliced tofu to the marinade, making sure that the tofu is completely submerged. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, corn meal, and Old Bay seasoning. Remove the tofu from the marinade and dredge in the flour mixture until all sides are covered.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add about 1 inch of vegetable oil. When the oil is ready, add the battered pieces of tofu and fry until golden, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the oil and place on a plate covered with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
Makes 2-4 servings