Who knew that New England had become a vegan ice cream mecca? Ah, the possibilities. Always be sure to contact the shop ahead of time to check hours and for the availability of vegan treats. Enjoy!
1. Desert Island Ice Cream, Bar Harbor, Maine
Mt. Desert Island’s sorbets come in these adventurous flavors: Apple Parsley, Blueberry Basil, Blackberry, Cantaloupe, Grapefruit Tarragon, Lemon Lemongrass, Moscow Mule, Nectarine Champagne, Pear Riesling, Scorned Woman, Beet Ginger, and Mango Jicama Habanero. Mt. Desert Island has two locations in Bar Harbor.
2. FoMu Alternative Ice Cream, Alston and Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts
This all-vegan ice cream shop has two locations in the Boston area. Check out this long list of delectable flavors: Avocado, Banoffee Pie, Bourbon Maple Walnut, Cake and Batter, Cardamom Pistachio, Cherry Amaretto, Chocolate Brownie, Chocolate Pudding, Cookies and Cream, Espresso Bean, Fresh Mint Chip, Malted Cookie Dough, Mango Habanero, Peanut Butter, Rosewater Saffron, Salted Caramel, Strawberry, Sweet Lavender, Thai Chili Peanut, and Vanilla Bean.
3. Lulu’s Ice Cream & Gelato, Rockland, Maine
4. Sweet Claude’s, Cheshire, Connecticut
You can choose from vegan ice cream options in Coffee Chip Crunch, Toasted Almond, Chocolate, Vanilla with Raspberry Swirl, Pistachio, Mango, and Red Raspberry.
5. The Arundel Ice Cream Shop, Arundel, Maine
Call ahead for Arundel’s current flavors, which include strawberry lemonade, strawberry coconut, and lemon.
6. Fire and Spice Vegan Restaurant, Hartford, Connecticut
The all-vegan menu boasts ice cream, cupcakes, and muffins. Call ahead for the current selection.
7. Lizzy’s Homemade Ice Cream, Harvard Square, Needham, and Waltham, Massachusetts
Lizzy’s serves dairy-free sorbet and Tofutti vegan ice cream at all three of its locations. Call ahead for the current flavors.
8. Wild Cow Creamery, Bangor, Maine
Wild Cow offers a variety of dairy-free sorbets, including Lemon Blueberry, Dark Chocolate, and Strawberry Banana.
9. Gelato Fiasco, Brunswick and Portland, Maine
Gelato Fiasco offers dairy-free sorbetto in Vanilla, Coffee, and Chai flavors.
10. Café Bishco, Gloucester, Massachusetts
This pint-size sandwich shop offers hefty vegan frozen yogurt portions at reasonable prices. Call ahead to ask for flavors.
11. Captain Sam’s Ice Cream Shop, Portland, Maine
Call ahead for Captain Sam’s current dairy-free flavors.
12. J.P. Licks, Massachusetts
J.P. Licks, which has 13 locations in Massachusetts, carries vegan coconut-milk ice cream in Fresh Ginger and Coconut Vanilla flavors, as well as Chocolate Fudge soy ice cream. J.P. Licks’ sorbet flavors include Manischewitz, Fudgsicle, and Grapefruit.
13. Divine Treasures, Manchester, Connecticut
This maker of vegan chocolates and truffles also offers vegan ice cream at its factory store in Manchester.
14. Shain’s of Maine, Sanford, Maine
Shain’s sorbet flavors include lemon and raspberry, but are subject to change, so be sure to call ahead.
15. Veggie Galaxy, Cambridge, Massachusetts
This all-vegetarian/vegan diner offers a slew of vegan dessert options, including a vegan ice cream sundae. Yum.
16. Ben and Bill’s Chocolate Emporium, Bar Harbor, Maine, and Falmouth, Oak Bluffs, and Northampton, Massachusetts
This 30-year-old chain of chocolate and ice cream shops offers non-dairy sorbet. Call ahead for their current options.
17. Lemon Press Café, Nantucket, MA
Organic vegan coconut fro-yo for your dining pleasure!
18. Ice Cream Café, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
This Cape Cod institution offers four vegan ice cream flavors–Salty Caramel, Chocolate, Crunchy Granola, and Toasted Coconut—as well as chocolate and vanilla soft serve.
19. sweetFrog, nationwide
This national chain has multiple locations in Maine, Massachusetts, and Connecticut, offering rotating sorbet selections that include Chocolate Fudge, Green Apple, Key Lime, Orange Blast, Pink Lemonade, Pomegranate Raspberry, Strawberry Kiwi, Strawberry Lemonade, Very Berry, and Watermelon.
20. Rococo Artisan Ice Cream, Kennepunkport, Maine
Rococo offers a rotation of flavors daily, including Rosewater Pear Sorbet, Raspberry Coconut Crème Sorbet, and more.
21. Grab ‘n Go Health Bar, Provincetown, Massachusetts
Call ahead to hear about Grab ‘n Go’s current vegan soft serve flavors.
We hope you’ve enjoyed your tour of New England’s best vegan ice cream. Also check out our definitive list of vegan froyo around the country.