The following article was written by Carissa Leventis-Cox of Mama in the Kitchen, and She Ain’t Cookin’
Craving a pastry or cereal bar? Whether it’s served for breakfast, as a snack, or for dessert, this is the one! This truly healthy recipe is very easy to make, and your family will love its flavor. Any fruit can be used to make the jam for the filling, but blueberries are in season and taste fantastic with the vanilla, coconut, lemon, and maple syrup that this recipe calls for.
1 cup nuts, oats, or sprouted and dehydrated soft wheat berries
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (alcohol-free)
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin coconut oil
2-3 Tbsp. maple syrup, to taste
- Grind the nuts, oats, or wheat berries into a fine flour with a food processor or coffee grinder. Place in a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix together well.
- Refrigerate or freeze until hard.
- On a flat surface, flatten the mixture with the palm of your hands or with a roller.
- Carefully separate the pastry from the surface. Cut into strips and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to assemble the bars.
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Spices, such as cinnamon, optional
1/4 cup fresh pitted dates (soak dried dates before adding)
1 cup fresh blueberries or other fruit
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Place the pastry strips on a flat surface.
- Top half of each strip with the blueberry jam and fold the other half over to form a sandwich.
- Serve immediately